upgrade trolling motor on PT175?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Theys

Reaction score
I may be purchasing a PT175 in the near future and need advice. Should I upgrade the stock MG trolling motor, if so, what are your recommendations?

JPT, YES without a doubt upgrade, I bought my PT 185 last year and did not upgrade, so now I would need to buy a new one, if I upgraded I would have received a credit for the stock one and just paid the diff on a bigger one.

i would upgrade, i have a pt175 and i switched to the 24 volt min kota 65 lbs thrust and i could not be happier. It can go all day fishing tidal water and it still has enough left for another day. its hard to have to big a trolling motor, when you need it its there if you dont just dial it down.

mike

Mike, when you upgraded to 24 volt, did you fit all three batts in the compartment? Did you use the same TM harness that came with the boat?

Thanks

I wanted more wieght up front on my boat so i used the big compartment up front and ran all new wiring. It has helped my boat alot, it no longer rides like a brick in rough water and i picked up 3 mph.

mike

The battries will fit in the back but at 60 lbs each i thought it was to heavy in the back with everything else back there

Anyone have any recommendations for a trolling motor model for the 175 with a 50 HP outboard? Shaft length, power? Both MG and MK motors will be considered.

Absolutely. My dealer talked me out of upgrading on when I bought my 2003 175PT and I regretted it from day 1. The stock mount is terrible for noise and flimsy. I just put a Minn Kota Maxxum 55 variable speed on mine last week and just pulled it out of the garage this morning to sit in the cold until the next warm front puts me on the water for a day. I can't wait to try out the new motor. I replaced with a 12V 55 because in my area we have many 25hp limits on the best bass lakes so any weight from extra batteries affects top end greatly and the 43lb was ok for pulling power. The stock wiring was 8 ga so I also rewired with 6 ga and new high amp plug/sockets. The other thing I did which I am glad is getting power tilt/trim. Helps trim for different passenger/load situations and also when you are moving through flooded timber it is nice to be able to raise the motor from the front.

Back