Update to

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glenn - I take the one from Boat US and do it annually, since some things change. I send it to my State Farm agent and get 15% off my boat insurance. State Farm requires it annually, unlike Allstate Plus, there is no cost from Boat US.

Dave - To get the additional discount I have had to provide him a copy of the certificate as it wouldn't take my word for it. (Would you??????) LOL

For those of you that may have USAA insurance, 5% discount for a state or Internet [bless Al Gore] course or a 10% discount for an official USCG course.

i have usaa, and did not recieve the discount because i was getting it already since i have operated a boat for 15 or more years. but i still take the course, just like bill said cause things change.

mike c

Well, I'm sure my USAA POC knew I've owned this boat only 5 years. Regardless, one short phone call told me that I can be saving a $100 a year. Examination, here I come.

glenn,

i have heard that, and i told the truth about my boat but i was told 70 was the magic number. i was paying almost twice what i am now for insurance and i bumped up my numbers to boot.

mike c

Hmmm ... USAA never asked me how fast my boat would go so for me not to tell them isn't fraud. Perhaps that is another thing they already know, since my 750 mit 90 pony studden is generally talked about in sub-50 mph terms. I do know that some engines are considered racing engines and can't get coverage.

My State Farm Agent said that the Boat US certificate that I got was not acceptable for a discount:angry:. Makes me wonder just how much variation there is from agent to agent. I don't like to bash but this makes me angry!!

TOXIC

Geez tritonglenn, which one of us do think is concealing stuff from our insurance agents?

I, for one, told my insurance agent everything about my boat that they asked; they got copies of all the appropriate paperwork; at no time did they ask me how fast the boat would travel or tell me there was a speed limit; so if at a later date they question the speed, from my foxhole, I would say they set an ambush.

I certainly don't want a discount that is really being underinsured in disguise.

Do whatever you want. It's your insurance. I was just trying to help. I deleted my post - I'm out of here.

Glenn

Well, sure looks like I missed something here. I took the Coast Guard Safe Boating Course a long time ago at the MD. Dept. of Natural Resources building. Now I get 15% off my boat insurance. I didn't have any for three years because my agent told me I was covered under my household policy. When it was time for my tags this year, I went and checked with my agent and he admitted he made a mistake. Boy, that gives me a lot of confidence. He didn't ask me how fast my rig was and I'm glad because I wouldn't want to astonish him with my Tracker and 40 h.p. motor...

Glenn, what's the matter???

Uncle Billy

BoatUS gives me 10% off the premium and a year of free membership - $19.00, I recently passed the PA Boaters safety course. It wasn't required for me in PA but it will cover me across the river in Jersey where I could be pulled off the water for not having a certificate.

My company asked if I had taken a course, but not sure if I got a discount for it. I fish the Potomac alot in DC waters and it is a requirement to have the safety course to operate a boat in DC waters. I have been stopped and asked for proof, by the harbor patrol.

HP

Back