Umbrella

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene` Zartman

Reaction score
Does anyone use a seat back umbrella to keep the sun off?

I have orders from the Dr. to watch the sun on my skin as my mother had melinoma (skin cancer and its bad stuff) and since my complection is similar to her's I'm a candidate.

The bimini top straps, seem too restricting for casting and I thought maybe the seatback thing would work better.

Any experience or feedback is appreciated! Thank You Gene Z

I have a history of melinoma too......I just use a good sun blocker and don't have problems getting sunburn. That's what the Dr. advised me to do.

+1 for lamar. I've had problems to and use a SPF 70 and nothing except bug bites get thru it.

I also had skin cancer at the ripe age of 30. took 18 stitches under my right eye to remove it.

you will never find me on the water with out sunglasses, hat, shirt and 65 SPF.

Not really sure how you would cast with and umbrella looming over you.

GregD

Here is another idea to try. One of the items that the company I work for makes sunshades for garden/lawn tractors. They are normally attached to the back of the tractor seat and then hang over the top with no support other than the tube frame. We make them for Deere, Craftsman, etc so you could find them at the store or dealers. may work , but may not be large enough for what you are looking for. Thought I would pass the idea along.

I had a melonoma tumor removed from my forehead a couple years ago..I now use sunscreen everyday of mylife, minimum being SPF 20 for daily use. If I will be outside for any length of time, I lube up with Neutrogena SPF 70..its very light stuff, hardly greasy at all, and best of all, its hypoallergenic and does not sting the eyes when u sweat..When I fish, it's usually long sleeve columbia sun shirts, they are very light and cool. I still wear shorts and sandals, but I lather on the sunscreen on my legs and feet. I wear a lifeguard hat on my head and if the sun is really intense, I wear a buff on my neck and face. I'm a pale dude nowadays, but the alternative is just not acceptable to me. Something to remember....all sunscreens from SPF 15 thru 100 protect exactly the same..the higher SPF u apply, the longer it is affective and the less often u need to reapply.

Oh..and I think the umbrella will get in your way..!

Like Smitty said, and wear a Tilley hat, rather than using an umbrella. You'll love it - none better no matter what you pay.:rolleyes:

i made a holder out of pvc that attaches to the seat post... it holds a 8ft umbrella for when the neice goes with me....just pull it down when running, take 2 seconds to put it up

mike c

Thank you for all the replies! I'm sure the umbrella will interfere with my casting,and I'll have to make ajustments. I wear sunscreen (Blue Lizard) hat and long sleeves. I guess part of me wanted more UV protection and part of me wanted to reduce that oven baked feeling when the sun is intense and its the only time I can fish. OLD AGE!!!!!!!!!!!

Mantis is the sunshade I had in mind.

Mike I like your Idea of using plastic pipe over your post and I'm going to try it with a golf umbrella, will not ruin the seat back, and will give me an idea if it will work. GeneZ

Velcro...thats exactly what the head buff is..u can use it just around ur neck or pull it up to cover everything but ur eyes..its very comfortable and doesnt overheat u too much..I also wear gloves, I actually like wearing the columbia fingerless sun gloves, I wear em early mornings and evenings too.

Gene - after I posted on the Tilley hat, I went to their website and ordered the T2, which has the biggest brim of them all. It's like wearing an umbrella (3.5 inches all the way around).

I had my first carcinoma removed from my face 18 years ago, in Tucson, AZ. Since about 10 years ago, I wear SPF30+ on my face every day, and long sleeve t-shirts when I'm in the sun. Hot until you sweat but then pretty cool. I've worn the T4 Tilley for about 6 years, after spending a ton of $$ trying to find a comfortable, cool hat to wear in the sun, I found the one that works.

At 64 years old, I could care less about style. Having said that, I have had a lot of positive comments on my Tilley T4. The T2 is significantly wider and a lot lighter in color, which should help it reflect heat. They are all washable, so dirt isn't an issue.

About the only drawback is that on my boat (190TX with a 115 Opti), the brim folds back in my face above 30mph. I just wear a baseball hat till we get where we're going to fish.

Good luck - stay safe - don't forget the sunscreen.

Mike

:D:D

Gene - after I posted on the Tilley hat, I went to their website and ordered the T2, which has the biggest brim of them all. It's like wearing an umbrella (3.5 inches all the way around).

I had my first carcinoma removed from my face 18 years ago, in Tucson, AZ. Since about 10 years ago, I wear SPF30+ on my face every day, and long sleeve t-shirts when I'm in the sun. Hot until you sweat but then pretty cool. I've worn the T4 Tilley for about 6 years, after spending a ton of $$ trying to find a comfortable, cool hat to wear in the sun, I found the one that works.

At 64 years old, I could care less about style. Having said that, I have had a lot of positive comments on my Tilley T4. The T2 is significantly wider and a lot lighter in color, which should help it reflect heat. They are all washable, so dirt isn't an issue.

About the only drawback is that on my boat (190TX with a 115 Opti), the brim folds back in my face above 30mph. I just wear a baseball hat till we get where we're going to fish.

Good luck - stay safe - don't forget the sunscreen.

Mike

:D:D

Back