Uh-oh!!! Bad News!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikel Stephens

Reaction score
Was running across Lake Limestone this morning when I heard a noise in my engine. I shut down but it was all over. 2 holes in the aluminum (one on each side) right up at the top 2 cylinders...Aluminum laying inside of my cover...Man, I'm bummed.

How much should I expect to spend repairing her?

Merc 200 EFI (1995 I think)

also, I opened the oil reservior to make sure I had enough oil and air sucked-in as soon as it could...think something could have plugged my oil line? and if so why no warning buzzer sound?

Another thing...my back pedestal base was loose. I took the screws out and damned if the wood (between the fiberglass layers) wasn't rotten. Suggestions on that greatly appreciated too.

Thanks,

Mikel

Well..... I hope you don't owe too much on the boat.....

The motor isn't worth what it's going to cost to repair it. Even though it may be cheaper to repair than replace.....

Then, I wonder what else may be rotten besides the rear deck. What I'd really like to know is what the deck is doing rotting out on you so soon..... The boat simply isn't old enough to expect that kind of problem.....

Sh##, Mikel..... That doesn't sound at all good..... Do you remember the troubles CMack had with his 896? He had some problems with wood that was left exposed. I wonder if they could have been produced about the same time...........

me

Mikel..... I just went to look up CMack's boat..... His name is Charlie Richardson..... Also a 1996 896..... He's also in Texas..... You may want to drop him an e-mail..... Sounds too similar.....

I thought that would be the case on the motor. I owe quite a bit on it. The wood is underneath the rear-pedestal. I'm dissapointed that the pedestal bolts were installed (4 of 6, I guess the other 2 weren't important) on the rear, lid-area of the livewell. I noticed about 3 times that fish had a gash on the top of the head that wasn't there when I put them into the livewell...the bolts were portruding into the livewell. Anyways. Thanks for the message, I will email him.

Do all fiberglass boats use thin layers of fiberglas with a piece of plywood sandwiched in between them or does Nitro put wood only there to hold the pedestal base down?? May be time to repair this one and get a different boat.

I believe Tracker has a 10 year or lifetime warranty on the wood decking. When this was put in place, I am not sure. It'd be worth calling your local Tracker/Nitro dealer and asking. It'd sure be nice to have that part taken care of.

I believe from what you're discussing on your motor, you've shot the block all to crap. As such, it won't be a cheap fix. Part out the old one on e-bay. Lower unit, prop, cowling, you name it. Those cowlings are $900+ new. I've almost wondered if I couldn't buy a brand new motor and part it out for more than I paid for it (if I could sell the parts at retail).

BMCD

Well i hate to hear that news. Hope it all works out. Let me know if i can be of any assistance. I am supposed to be fishing Limestone next weekend, just hearing about your problems got me thinking i should not go.

Try to get the insurance to pay for it if possible.

Bryan

Not your fault Brian. You could recommend a good place to get a rebuild done...if that's feasible. When are you fishing Limestone? Bryan Bass Club and Brazos Valley Bass Club will be there this weekend. If you want to fish this weekend, you can be my guest in teh Tournament; I'll share my honey holes...but we'll have to take your boat hehe

Mikel,

For a "rebuild" look into "Blackbird"... http://1outboard.com/ I have no personal experience but they do usually get good reviews at the Bass Fishing Home Page... Might post there and ask about recent experiences...

greg,blackbirds has got some bad reps in the past.someone posted a message there from another board about he got 6 powerheads shipped to him,each running a total of about 10 min before eating themselves.ill have to find the link i read it on.it might have been on screamandfly.com.ill have to check it out later when i wake up!

I've read as much bass press about Blackbird's as good press. He says he has the top-of-the-line equipment, but it seems some questionable things have happened in the past.

TO ME, a reman'd powerhead means stripping it down to the block, new rods, pistons, rings, all cylinders bored to the same specs, etc. I've read where some cyls would be 10 over, some 20 over and some stock in the same powerhead. That's a FIX, not a reman.

Well the local mercury mechanic says it's not worth fooling with. I think he's right. I'm gonna fish with the trolling motor and put some oars on it.

Call Blackbirds in PA. They will give you so much for the blown motor off of a warrantied rebuilt one. You can ship it from TX to PA, and they'll ship the new one back. Then just find a shop to mount it. You might be surprised at how much you can get another 200 hp for. Good luck, blown motors bite big time. Been there, done that, got the receipt!

Tell ya what, you can not go wrong with Tox's ride. Nice boat and ride the wakes nice too!!!!!

Carlos

Sure would liek your boat Tox but like I said: "my situation" is getting into the way. Mortgage Broker said not to spend a dime until our loan goes through in a few weeks. We're waiting on the sale to be completed on our old home and buying a new home...if our buyers back-out for any reason...or if we go into the hole (like a new boat...or motor) we could be looking at a bad situation. I hope you sell it though!

Take care of the important stuff first!! My rig will sell sooner or later. I haven't advertised it anywhere but here because if it does sell then I have to go buy a new one. My 929 is a cherry. I wouldn't sell it at all if I didn't have to. Someone is going to get a great boat when it sells. I'm concentrating on a truck right now, then I will get serious on moving the boat.

TOXIC

UPDATE: Last tournament out I hit something so hard it killed the motor. I trimmed the motor and the prop wasn't hurt too bad...so I turned it over and it cranked. I fished the rest of the day running only back to the ramp at weigh-in. Then the boat sat for a couple of weeks and the very next time I ran, the powerhead blew. I had forgotten about hitting something until my partner reminded me of it.

Question: Is hitting something like I did probable cause for my powerhead blowing? Wouldn't it damage the lower unit 1st? I'd hate to file an insurance claim if I were wrong.

Back