Two Questions on Lower Unit Oil

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Just got finished changing the oil in my lower unit (Yes Carlos, I got the new fiber washers) and two questions came up.

#1 The lower unit oil I put in was a differant color than the oil I've used in the past. It was...motor oil color whereas the other stuff that I drained out was more of a Junebug color. It was Quicksilver Premium Gear Lube and said it was for all Merc outboards and shouldn't be mixed with Mercury High Performance Gear Lube + which is what I drained out. Did I use the wrong stuff this time or last time?

#2 I've always been told that the lower unit will take about 34 oz of lube. Mine took not quite 16 oz before it was flowing out of the vent. Is this because I have a little putt-putt 50 hp and I'm reading advise from guys who have bigboy motors?

Harpo

I dont think it will hurt to switch types. I tihnk when they say dont mix the two they mean at the same time in the lower unit. As far as the capacity goes your most likley right. My 150 takes just less then a quart to fill but i do remember on my fathers old bravo i/o is took more then a quart.

Thanks, Jim.

I wonder, what is the differance in the two lubricants? I assume the high performance + is the better of the two. Anybody with a 50 or 60 horse know how much gear oil goes in there?

Harpo

I'm thinking I used about 16oz or thereabouts when I changed mine, but not sure at the moment. I know it didn't take long for it to come out the top hole.

I think the diffrence is that one is synthetic and one is non synthetic oil. If you do cahnge from one to another you need to flush the other out really good. Sometimes they do not mix well.

:D On the new washers

My 90 only holds about 12 oz....a 16 oz. container will always have some left.

I probably wasted a few ounces in the process. I was just concerned because I was thinking it took over a quart. I don't know why I didn't get worried about this before.

Harpo

Your fine Harpo...just make sure you replace the washers everytime:)

Larry, it's most important to taste test the two. If they taste the same, you can mix them. If they taste differently, then you should use the one that tastes better.

However, do NOT do a taste test between your normal beer (Milwaukee's Best) and lower unit oil because the lower unit oil will always win.

Mike, I tried both. The The Mercury High Performance Gear Lube +[ was a sassy little number with a bright and livey palet, spicy with a hint of pepper, oak, and shale but left a slight aftertaste of dinosaur poop. On the other hand the Quicksilver Premium Gear Lube had a much fuller aroma and richer taste, satisfing without being too heavy with strong rosewood, birch, asparagas and naturalgas aftertaste. Definatly the more elegant of the two.

Harpo

I agree Harpo.....the Plus also had a hint of Persian Oil I believe:wacko:

Where do y'all get these washers? I've owned my 50hp for two years and changed the lower unit each year but never changed the washers.

Thanks

Any Mercury parts counter. I got my last ones at the parts dept at BPS. They no charged them.

Harpo

Back