two piece rods

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
Why are there so few two piece rods? I know what everyone will say, "sensitivity", but honestly I have been fishing for almost 30 years and as long as I have a decient graphite rod, and some good line, it's really not all that important to me. After all it's a fish, not a gnat ;-)

To me, the small increse in sensitivity isn't worth the pain of traveling around with a 7'+ rod.....

Opinions?

I dont own any 2 peice rods for a numner of reasons. In my opinion they are not nearly as sensitive as say the same model rod that is a one peice. I also dont like how over time the joint gets loose and you either have to keep adjusting it so that the guides are straight or you take a cast and half your rod goes with the lurein a tangled mess. Im pretty sure a one peice is stronger too. I dont find it a pain to have the all one peice. My rod locker on my boat holds 7'6" and will hold 20+ per side. Most of the time they stay in there, if i go on soeone elses boat i grab what i want out of the locker, toss them in the truck and go.

Maybe Mini will chime in. Im sure he can offer some techinical details on the subject.

Many years ago I bought a 2 piece rod and it was my last. Never took it apart when I used it anyway and after a while the top half flying out into the lake drove me crazy.

Paul

One piece is lighter, stronger and more sensitive (usually cheaper too). I only own one 2 peice rod, a crappie rod (all I have to do is watch the bobber..lol). All the rest are single piece.

There are times it will make a difference in sensitivity....

Mini

PS Sorry not technical, but it is the truth.

All my rods that I keep on the boat are one piece. I have 2 two-piece rods I keep for traveling when I'm not taking the boat. Yes, the sensitivity isn't like a one-piece, but they are sure a lot easier to travel with and haven't broken a single on yet!

Barb

My seven and ten foot panfish rods are two piece. I've never had a problem with them getting loose and falling apart. If they do you just spray some spray laquer on the end.

I have two seven and a half finess rods both the same and two piece by Diawa. About $80 bucks a piece. No problems and the sensitivity is great. People say I'm pretty unsensitive so to a really good fisherman(just about everyone but me quailifies on this)might tell the difference.

fatrap

My surf poles are two piece and my backpacking rods are four piece. For bassin I prefer a single piece because they are sensitive and light weight. I have to feel the bass when the just "look" at my lure. Where I fish there's only one bass per thousand fishermen (and that's on a weekday). Personally, I've caught loads of fish with a two piece rods but prefer the single.

Da Bear

No the new cars have fold down seats they fit no problem.....JR I do have 2 piece rods B&M 12 foot crappie rods..If you use 2 piece they are fine..I prefer 1 piece..JR

Just saw em in half and glue back together with miricle glue when you get there.

ftrp

Wookie -

I have a Jeep Cherokee and a couple of rod holding straps I bought from BPS a couple of years ago to carry the rods inside, just below the roof. 6'6" rods just barely fit. I have one 7' rod and I have to hang it catty-corner. My one 7'6" rod is collapsable and fits no problem.

I'd give you a link to the straps at BPS but I'm at work and, for some reason, going to their site locks up my system. When I get home, I'll post a link for you.

me!

I have a traveling 3 piece basspro extreme rod for when I go on vacations I love it.. it does lose some sensitive but over all it great U just need to pay more attention if you are going to worm fish.

X

I have put 7' rods in a corvette....

Just put the butts on the passenger floort and run them between the seats.

Mini

Yeah..... My father used to put the entire family in his '63 Corvette convertible..... All 7 of us..... My mother in the passenger seat with my 2 sisters in her lap. Me sitting on the hump. My 2 brothers curled up in the back behind the seats where the top was stored when down. My father got the driver's seat to himself!

Here ya go, Wookie! The Rod Saver Vehicle Rod Carrier for $16.99. It sagged in the middle, so I looped some 20# line from the dome lights to support the center of each strap. Works great!

me!
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...rClassCode=11&hvarSubCode=7&hvarTarget=browse

Back