tv-18 owners

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike chip

Reaction score
well after 2 years of saving i am going to order a new tv-18 this winter. what if anything should i upgrade. Is the 52# trolling motor adaquate? should i upgrade to a trailer with brakes? Any issues to be concerned with like transom separation or did that get fixed? Does the transom still have wood in it? What kind of real world performance should i expect from the 90 hp.

thanks

mike

Mike,

The only transom separation problems I'm aware of, only occurred on the 2000 models with a 150hp. MoFish and Smitty both have 150's on 2001 and newer models with no problems so far.

I have a 2001 with the 90HP and get between 36 and 38mph on a reconditioned prop. When my prop was new I could get up to 40mph more regularly but don't expect more than that.

I have since upgraded the TM to a Minkota Maxxum 65lb because I fish Lake St. Clair a lot where wind and big waves are the norm. If you don't fish "big" water then the 52" will be fine.

Take the money you were considering on the TM upgrade and put it into electronics.

I pull my boat with a Chevy Silverado and I don't have any problems braking. If you're towing with a full-size truck you don't "need" them. Again, put the money into upgrading the electronics.

I notice you live in VA. When I bought mine, I lived in NH and went Striper fishing a lot. If you plan on fishing salt or brackish water, I highly recommend the galvinized trailer.

I'm coming to the end of season #4 with my TV-18 and it has been a fantastic boat. I love the improvements over the years. Every little detail that I wish was better on mine, has been addressed in the new boat (bigger rod lockers, deck extension with more bow storage, live-well pump out, etc.)

The TV-18 is a GREAT aluminum boat....Good Choice.

I agree with Marke 99%

It's all personal preference to what you think is adequate. I too have upgraded to a Maxxum 65lb thrust and it's a world better than the 52 that's standard. It would be one of the first things I'd switch out, but only have the dealer wire it for 24V and do the motor switch yourself over the winter unless you can get a great deal.

The 90hp will do fine, but IF you CAN afford it, go with the bigger motor or get the 90 Optimax. The 90 should run you around 40-ish, and you should have a 19P or 21P alum. prop, the motor should be mounted a hole or 2 above "flush". I ran a 19P prop with my motor mounted flush, I'm uncertain about a higher mounting position, may be the 21P.

Electronics - yes, upgrade!

Keep us updated on the new purchase

I would upgrade the trolling motor. Maybe my troubles are due to the weight of the 150, but it just doesn't get the job done on windy days the way I'd prefer. A 65lb Minkota Maxxum would be a "minimum" acceptable motor for me now that I've run the 52 Motorguide awhile. The other option would be a 12/24 system or two 12 volts rigged parallel so that I could run on a "3" or "4" setting all day.

I agree with Marke. If you're using a full size truck, trailer brakes are not necessary.

Spend the money to get a spare tire and mount, but you don't have to go with Tracker components to get this taken care of. At a minimum, buy a spare wheel and tire.

The transom issues have been resolved. The wood's been eliminated beginning with the 2004 model year. The problem was with riveted stern caps being stressed by the weight of the 150. All that is a non-issue now.

Expect to see a 4 or 5 mph difference (lower) between the performance reported by Tracker for the 90 ELPTO 2-stroke and what a GPS will indicate. The standard speedo is worthless for accuracy. My speedometer can show 56, but my GPS will show 50 to 52 depending on the weight of gear, gas and lard butts being hauled around.

If it were me, and you've got the cash, I'd strap a 115 Optimax on that boat.

As for electronics, put a good LCD fishfinder on the bow/trolling motor, and get a good quality handheld GPS with mapping. Beyond that, I'd recommend a cover and...if you are planning to put it into salt water...the galvanized trailer suggested by Marke.

They're great boats. You'll love the ride, the deck space and the amount of storage. (Maybe one day they'll re-offer the dual console option. *sigh*)

MO

Definitely upgrade the trolling motor...The 43 ain't enough for mine so I'm sure it's not enough for the TV18. Love the new "All Fish" 18...color shceme looks great and it's wide,stable and preforms nice with a 90...also won't break your wallet when you fill up:)

I have a 2000 TV-18 w/ 90 hp ELPTO and run in the low 40's mph range. I agree with most and recommend upgrading the TM to a minimum of 65lbs. Trailers brakes are not necessary with a full-size truck. I would invest in the 115 Optimax if possible and again get good electronics.

I love this boat, little maintainess and easy to tow.

Go for it, you'll be happy with the boat.

Reno

Truer words were never spoken!

You'll love it!

I have the same set-up as Reno...

az

thanks guys

i already have the 65 minn kota i will be removing from my pt17.5. i also have all the "toys" and will get the galvanized trailer cause it will be used in the bay and in florida. How are your interiors holding up, carpet, doors, and the rest. What are the differences between the all fish and tv-18, other than livewell size and color schemes.

I know i should get the biggest motor i can afford, but i never travel more than 8 to 10 miles in a days fishing and thats on rare days.

mike

Lids and hatch covers are holding up really well. No problems there. The two consoles needed to have the windshield through-bolted rather than screwed into the fiberglass. With the plastic formed console maybe that's no longer a problem.

The seats are holding up really well, except for the center seat (which everyone steps on to get to the back deck). The stitching broke loose so it looks more worn than it actually is. I just take it out and only install it when I'm fishing three out of the boat.

I'm pretty disappointed in the carpet. It's beginning to pull up in a few places (this is an '01 model), and is matted pretty bad where I walk. But that's probably because I really didn't know how to keep it clean before it was too late. Don't use soap on it.

I really don't think there's much difference between the "All Fish" and the Tournament V-18. My opinion is that, when the Avalanche came out, the V-18 lost it's "Tournament" appeal. I'll have to see more photos before I can tell there's a real difference.

The trailer is holding up really well, too, other than the fact that I replaced both tail lights with LED units because I got tired of paying the $9 to replace a sealed bulb unit. Do THAT mod first after you get the boat home! It's well worth the $55 it will cost you.

Back