True Impact of Rising Gas Prices

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Klein

Reaction score
Grabbed a few hours of fishing Saturday morning and was treated to the true impact of rising gas oprices; I :lol:, I :(, and I :eek:.

First, there were upwards of 20 boats on the lake; normally 10 is busy. Made my plan to fish slowly hitting only a few places a brilliant choice-:D.

Second, I had the opportunity to observe some excellent ramp action. One boater fired up his big mo on the ramp out of the water-:wacko:; he ran it longer than a few seconds, but his driver backed him in and away they went-:rolleyes:.

Third, one driver was backing in with a ground guide and still managed to bounce his trailer off the concrete lane divider-:blink:.

Fourth, two drivers were backing in their boats and got crooked [one angled left and the other angled right]. They managed to avoid the concrete divider-:cool:, but weren't able to avoid hitting each other-:(.

After observing all that, I opted to get off the lake about 1100--before the unwashed masses. It was a relatively good day as I caught several bass on an unweighted Zoom fluke; nothing to write home about, but fish nonetheless.

I'm incredibly fortunate to be where I am. I put in 1/2 mile from my house (sometimes I fish another area, and go about 3 miles to a particular ramp near a friend's house). When we striper fish, we have to drive about 10 miles. On the water, if we run a LOT, I will burn 2 gallons a morning with my carbed 90HP. Fuel is going to have to get really insane for it to be much a factor for me in fresh water as I can catch plenty of fish here just using my trolling motor. However, when it is warm, I also get off the lake by 10:30 or 11:00, as Old Hickory is an absolute zoo on Saturday and Sunday in the summer. It is a tremendous fishery, how it takes the pounding it gets and keeps on ticking is just truly amazing. Where the fuel is going to get me is on my Florida trips; I usually go 5-6 times a yr, that will be trimmed to two to three a yr now.

Got off early today myself. Mostly due to the muggy weather, but also to avoid the rodeo on the water. Memorial Day through Labor Day is one tough period to be on our pond. The weekends are definitely out until after Labor Day. Some people are downright scary on the water!!:wacko:

My wife and I sometimes will go down to the public boat ramp here on Lake Erie in late afternoon to watch the folks come in just before dark. It is amazing the mess that some of these folks get themselves into, especially if there is a breeze blowing in on the ramp or worse, a cross breeze. It's like a chinese firedrill sometimes when the boats get sideways in-between the ramps and the other boaters are trying to keep the sideways boat from hitting their boat. On more than on occasion, tempers will flare pretty quickly when the raised prop of the sideways boats gouges the side of another boat.

It must be enjoyable for other folks too because the edge of the parking area is usually lined up with folks that come to see the show!

A lot of times help is offered and refused. It must be an EGO thing. It's just a shame to see a $75000 boat damaged by another boat that gets out of control, most of the time by someone that forgets that boats don't have brakes and mis-judges what effect the wind has!:wacko:

RoyC

I've alway thought that if I were a divorce attorney I would hang out at the boat ramp on a Sunday afternoon and hand out cards to the wives that are being browbeaten, belittled, and yelled at by drunk horses-ass husbands while trying to back a tandem axle trailer and a 3/4 ton pickup they never drive, down a ramp while everybody watches. I'd make a million.

There seems to be another new truth to the way many men behave. (1) Never ask for directions and now (2) refuse offers of assistance at the ramp. :lol:

My wife could SURELY give a few pointers to some of these guys I see:lol:

Back