Truck Exhaust Question

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
I have been thinking of upgrading my exhaust on my 2500 Hemi with one of those Flowmaster dual exhaust packages with the straigtpipes that come out underneath the rear bumber.

Two Part Question:

1) Is it bad for the exhaust or engine for the tailpipes to be submerged in water at the boat ramp.

2) If anybody has the Flowmaster does it help? in HP or MPG?

Well CJ...your gonna' hear a lot of stuff on this subject. My first question would be if it's a newer vehicle? If it's new it should already have a Stainless exhaust. If your lookin' for a good sound then just replace your muffler with a Flowmaster or Edelbrock. A catback system at that point would be futile.

As far as duals out the back...I personally don't like them unless you want fumes in your face when your behind the truck. I have a swept side Edelbrock system that I love on my Silverado but, then again the stock system on it was very lacking:(

Tee, yes it's new 2004 Dodge Ram with the Hemi, looking to make it sound even better and also get better MPG and or HP, and also like how the dual looks. So your saying to change the muffler and tail pipe only?

I guess if it splits after the Cat Converter, it's really not dual exhaust anyway, right?

Your right, But it does look cool. Todays exhaust systems are pretty good from the cat back. Changing a muffler usually only changes sound, They can lower exhaust temps a little, possibly slightly increase mileage... of course with the better sound you usually develop a lead foot.

Just my observations

Chris, Tee and BMCD - Do these FlowMaster and other after market systems VOID the factory warranty??

Depending on which Flowmaster you get, you can end up with a lot of drone in the cab when cruising on the highway. I don't think that it's good to submerge the exhaust. Trucks weren't made to run underwater! LOL!

That Hemi should be kick a$$ anyways without any modifications.

A guy at work has a Dodge Ram with the 5.9L gas engine and Gibson cat back exhaust and big mudder tires. It looks nice and sounds awesome, but I wouldn't want to travel like I do in that rig! He changed his air intake too. I remind him that it's still a wimpy 245hp motor! I like my stock exhaust and I don't need noise to blow your doors off!

Bob G.

So that BLUB BLUB sound when some people back down in the water is probably not good LOL @ myself.

The HEMI does kick a$$, but I learned to drive it like a grandma and now I get 13.9 mpg, was looking for ways to get some more mpg's.

So what other things can I do to get better mpg's any suggestions?

Don't want to void any warranties.

I currently have an 03 Dodge Ram with a Hemi and since 1994 gone through 5 other Dodge Rams all with Flowmasters and a Catback on all of the ones prior to the 03 with the Hemi. I have not touched the Hemi. My personal experience is all you get is the sound.

I didn't add the pipes to the my 04 Durango either but with a Hemi that thing can't be touched for speed and it got better gas mileage then all of my trucks including the 03. I just traded it for an 05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Premuim, no need for speed or sound there. Bottom line is in the last 10 years of running Flowmasters on my trucks I have not seen any worth while improvement in gas mileage or power and thats after adding a K&N air filter and oil filter. I think they are all a big sales hype but I do love the sound.

Lets think about this...The first thing people always ask is will I get better gas mileage and more HP? Ok, so more HP is going to get you what? You might just be able to go 2 mph faster at top end because it's not going to chage the 0-60 speed any and the you blow any chance of an improvement in gas mileage that you were hoping to get by having more power to play with? Kind of an oxi-moron isn't it? If the Hemi is not enough power then you are never going to be happy unless you move up to nitrous.

As far as true dual exhaust it has to come from the engine or it's only a split. If you do go with a Flowmaster I suggest getting the dual chamber system, it has the best tone.

Before adding anything to the Hemi I would suggest you have a chat with a Dodge service tech. I honestly don't think anyone else that is not certified to work on or that has not worked on this new motor can talk directly to the specifications and capabilities. I have been told by the tech that works on our trucks that on the Hemi any change to the air flow could actually hurt your gas mileage and power.

Good Luck!!

Cass

Chris,

Never buy a kick a$$ truck and expect to get good fuel economy out of it. That's what those little economy cars are for. They can't tow or haul anything and can get 30mpg.

You could dump a lot of money into your rig and might see an improvement of 1 or 2 mpg. Do the math and you'll find that it will take a long time to get your money back out of it.

Bob G.

Okay Cass, you have officialy talked me out of any mods, geez cabin fever is getting bad, maybe I will spend the money on a trip south to fish instead.

Thanks

I must type slow you guys post too fast... if you are only getting 13.5 with the Hemi something is wrong. the 03 Ram truck in the city we get 15.5 and hwy running 75 we get 17.5 and no modifications. The 04 Durango got the same in the city but better hwy because most of the time I drive slower then my other half I was getting 19 & 20 mpg.

Cass

Cass, I get 13.9, would the following impact this.

1) I use regular ocatane fuel, not middle grade.

2) It's a 2500, maybe the rear in the 2500 would impact MPG?

3) it's a 4X4.

Please advise

You really get 17.5 Highway? wow

Cass - 5 or 6 Ram's in the last 10 years? Problems or just boredom??

Put a Flowmaster on it and fuggetaboutit. NO they won't void your warranty and yes depending on what kind of system(and there's alot out threre..even for the new Hemi's) you get ..it can improve mileage and economy.

Will not void warranty, everyone does it. I did on my last 2 Chevy's, cuz it made it sound like a truck should in my opinion.

I have never been impressed with the Dodge gas mileage, unless were talking Cummins. Ford and Chevy both get better mileage with simliar gears and engines. A 2500 gas engine ought to have low gears in the rear end, they do on Ford and Chevy's at least, and that will definately hurt the miles per gallon.

13.9 isn't so bad on a 2500. My last gas 2500 HD with the 6.0l 4.10 gears, engine would get 14-14.5 driving into work, 11-12 towing

Again just my observation.

CJ, yes you are right the 2500 would impact the gas mileage so the numbers you have are good. All of my trucks are 4X4s and had the 5.9 but were 1500s except the Hemi. One last thing, if you do go with the pipes I also suggest that if you are in a climate that gets snow = salt that you consider putting on the stainless steel tips, they run about $50 more per pipe but well worth the $$ after one winter you will see the difference. I always coated mine with a coat of wax and they get through the winter without any rust. I also do the tube steps.

Trep, I like having new vehicles and so far haven't had any problems with any of them. The Durango was too tempting way too much power and it wasn't what we wanted for a toad for our RV, we want a convertible but not be sitting on the ground in a sports car, the new Jeep fits the bill for now. I have a very nice 1990 Jeep Wrangler that has been fixed up for sale. :) My 1994 Ram 1500 is still on the road with over 200K going strong as a daily driver for an ex boss I sold it to about 7 years ago. The 95 has 180K and just completed am uneventful trip to from NH to South Dakota with the young man I donated it to.

This is my own personal opinion, when dealing with a warranty on my vehicles I get the facts from the people that are going to either cover my vehicle or tell me I messed up. Sunday morning arm chair QBs and bar stool lawyers aren't going to pony up $$$ to fix my vehicle if I don't get the facts. This is why I suggested talking with your service tech for the Ram. I also base my opinion on my own personal experience of owning & driving vehicles with the product in discussion. Would I do it again, heck yes once the road salt eats up the pipe on the 03 but I am not expecting to see any improvements.

Cass

Cass, I noticed your from New England area so I figured you would have the 4X4 after I posted my question, good news about the longevity of your Dodge trucks, I hope I get the same.

On gas mileage. The single biggest factor in gas mileage, is generally 'how the vechicle is driven' (of course, a dog is a dog).

My wife cannot even get close to the mileage that I get in my LeSabre. She has developed a lead foot - big one at that.

Tex

I am here until 2007 and then it's off to anywhere warmer during the winter months! I am a true born and raised Floridian which in the Ponte Vedra/Palm Valley area was good ol boys = Old fashion Southern red necks :) I admit I don't miss anything there except the heat. It's way too cold here!

Cass :)

Cass, could not agree more, born and raised in NJ but I plan on moving to warmer climate within the next five years.

CJL,

I've got an '03 2500 4x4 Quad Cab with the Hemi. Your mileage numbers are good. The rear differential will have an impact, as will the added weight of being a 4x4. When towing, I leave the overdrive off and actually get better mileage.

My advice would be to leave well enough alone unless you just don't like the sound.

Trep, I know the owners of a local dealership and they told me an interesting story. When Daimler took over, the first thing their engineers did was walk into the truck division at Dodge/Chrysler and say, "Thanks for your service, but we'll take over now." The new style Dodge Rams are a very solidly built truck.

MOFish,

I started taking off the OD when towing as well. I also click it off sometimes going up hills, the tranny seems to take to long to downshift with OD on. Have you noticed that, in any event my Jeep was the same way on steep hills.

CJL heres the deal.

Will the warranty be void? nope

Will the gas milage get better? most likely not

Will you ger more power? yes at high rpm where you will never use it

Will you get more torque? depends on what you do. If you dont keep some packpressure you will loose bottom end. A standard cat back deal you should be ok. If you do like some guys i see and cut off everything including thecat and go straight duals not only will you loose bottom end you will also lean the motor out big time, make it run hot and risk burning up the valves.

Will you get more noise? yep absolutly, your neighbors will love you for it :)

Dont worry about the warranty, you have the moss-magnusson warranty act to protect you there. Ive one this a ton of times and never had a problem. Ive modified more cars/trucks that i care to count. its never been a problem. That being said i wouldbe inclined to leave it alone. The hemi soundspretty good stock, my 4.7 dakota does too. I dont plan to replqce mine until it falls off.

If you decide to to it get one that goes out the side not straight out the back. Most of the cat back makers suggest the side if you tow because carbon monoxide could be a problem with the trailer attached. Also exhaust gasses are corrosive and i dont think i would want them blowing directly on my boat( think 97 ford f150 and the wheel corrosion issues form the exhaust venting in front of the wheel).

one more thing to remember, the exhaust will collect on the tailgate and ruin the paint if not kept clean.

mike

Yes, I noticed that as well. I'll pop the OD off when climbing long grades just so that the transmission doesn't have to hunt and peck for the right gear.

Chris,

Why Flowmaster? because of sound?

You need to decide HP or Mileage... you don't get both & a new cat-back exhaust on your truck will barely make a difference with either. It will sound cool. Is the Flowmaster system you are looking at Stainless.. If not don't bother.

I've owned at least 8 trucks in the past 5 yrs. I have 3 in the driveway right now. In my opinion look for a all stainless system. My current favorite is the MagnaFlow, they are pretty quite at idle & while running highway speeds but let it rip & it comes to life.. Hp (maybe but if so minimal... Mileage (well i don't own a toyota so I don

Hey Dennis, A Supercharged Dually? WOW, I am curious what benefits there are in super charging a dually? More torque, more HP?

Cass

More Torque... Well yup I would estimate at least 30% across the entire rpm range. HP definitely.. It would be a true tire smoker... but buying 4 rear tires at a time is expensive... lol..

Benefits, well it doesn't even know my 20ft enclosed racecar trailer is hooked to it any more. It doesn't have the noise or stink like a diesel (I got rid of that thing) but it outperforms most of them. Well it is just plain cool. Besides it is hard to gain this type of performance for the same money ... & by installing only one thing.

I'm hoping to dyno the dually this summer... just because I have access to one. I'll have some real numbers then.

Dennis

Back