Trolling Motor Trips Breaker on 5

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Hello all. I have an 05 Tracker and when I run the Motor Guide trolling motor on the top speed (5) after about 4 minutes it will trip the block breaker that is in-line with the battery cable. I can run at any other speed including 4 for any length of time without tripping the breaker any ideas?

Same thing was happening to my 04' 640LX. It turned out to be to small of a breaker. When I purchased the boat I upgraded the trolling motor from 45lbs to a whopping 52lbs. The original had a 40amp breaker that was left in and the 52lb needed a 50amp. Replaced it with a 50amp breaker and no more problems.

If you are replacing a breaker to a higher amperage one... don't overlook the wiring. If it's too small, it can heat up quick and set your boat on fire. I know someone with a Tracker Aluminum rig that had this happen to him. I believe he had problems filing an insurance claim too - it was proved where the fire started, and why - owners fault. Be careful.

All the best,

Glenn

Don't know if it matters but I did upgrade my battery to a larger size a month or so after I purchased the boat, but I should by using the same ampsvolts, correct?

Battery size won't make a difference in the amount of amperage the trolling motor is pulling. What size circuit breaker / wire size / trolling motor thrust are you running?

All the best,

Glenn

Had the same problem on my old Tracker PT-185 after I changed out the old 43# MG for a 55# MK. I did some research and found that the 8 ga. cable that Tracker uses is just not adequate for the increase in current draw. I upgraded to 6 ga and the problem disappeared. You can only force so much water through a garden hose...time to move up to a fire hose. Now the problem has reoccurred on my new Nitro. Once again....TM upgrade from stock 70# MG to 80# MK and stock 8 ga wiring.
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/faq.asp?pg=general&lp=gb&pt=6

Thanks everyone. Everything on the boat is stock except the TM battery. 46 thrust Motor Guide not sure what guage wire the boat comes with, stock cicuit breaker.

Once in a while I notice after I run on 5 for a few minutes the TM will jerk (stop-start) a few times then the breaker trips.

The samething happen to me this weekend, I went home and cleaned off the contacts under the foot controller hopefull that help my issue..

X

Back