Trolling motor question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
What would cause a trolling motor to work fine when using speed 3, 4 and 5 but won't work at all if speed setting is 1 or 2?

Is this an older trolling motor that has seen a lot of use? It could be as simple a thing as the connections on the speed dial are worn out on settings 1 & 2 and not making contact.

Is It a Toyota..WBHAHAHAAHAHH Might need cleaning Teri..I couldn't resist...:D

Sorry JR but if it was a Toyota model she would set it on 1 and it would go to 5 and not stop!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Randy!

pull th eprop and check for line or something around the prop shaft....report back

When I burned my last motor up (Left on while towing to Canada under the cover) I toasted the windings. I lost 1 & 2 and eventually 4. I believe there are several sets of windings and they are energized 1 at a time and in combination to get the different speeds. Hopefully it's only the speed selector switch.

Gene

The boat is a 2008 and she only used the boat for one season so I can't see it being worn out. I will take the prop off and see if I can find anything when I get a chance. Just needed to know where to start.

If it is a motor guide it is probably the foot pedal switch. I had several burn up and had to replace. I even carried new stwitches in the boat in case it happened on the water.

I now only run MinnKota!

Good luck with it Teri!

Either the switch, not likely, or the control board. Go to BBC and ask John the TM guy there....

I had a new 2008 boat with a Motorguide TM, it did the same thing (lost speed 1 &2). I took it in to the local repair center and they fixed it under warranty. Guy said he had fixed several with the same problem.

Yes, it's a MotorGuide. I just had the MinnKota I bought from a member here fixed for $169 in the fall. I was going to put the MinnKota on this boat and sell the MotorGuide. Can't spring for another $169 right now. ugh!

your motor is on its way out. i had a similar problem with my MG. lost 1 and 2 then 3 than 4. once it was stuck with only speed 5 i had it fixed and the actual motor on the unit had to be replaced.:(

Teri,

If it isn't line behind the prop....

It's either the switch or the armature.

Switch is relatively easy to fix and inexpensive....you can do it yourself.

The armature is another story.

However, being an '08, it should still be under warranty.

Get it fixed, get it sold then put the MK on there and be done with it.

As an Autherized Service Venter for Minn Kota, we get far more calls to repair Motorguides....go figure. :wacko:

How can I check and see if it's still under warranty? Call MinnKota with serial #? I figured the warranty was for 1 year. Hope it's covered so I can fix it and sell it. I will always buy MinnKota but this one came on the boat.

Well.....you wouldn't call Minn Kota because it's a Motorguide :p

But yes....give MG a call with the serial # and they should be able to tell you.

Some of them have a 2 year warranty.

Teri - Call:

Marine Specialty

6444 Camp Rd

Riverdale, GA 30296

770-996-9014

Ask for Denny Smith and he will get you fixed up. They are MG's Supercenter in the SE and will check your ser.# and let you know. Denny has a 48hr. guarantee that has saved countless local anglers time and money. When you send it to him, he'll get it back out to you within 48 hrs. He and his Dad have been doing this since Mr. Harris created the old Guide-Rite's in the '60's. (That should take some of the 'ol timers back to the day! :lol: ) You can tell him Big Dan from BPS sent you. It shouldn't hold things up for more than an extra week or so!! BWAAAAAAA!!!!! J/K He's a good guy and a great friend. Good luck! ;)

Latest posts

Back