Trolling motor Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason L

Reaction score
I have the stock 43# MG Trolling Motor on my PT185. It squeaks a lot when in use.. Where/how do I oil it to get rid of the noise? Thanks

Seems like no matter how much I oiled mine, it would squeek. The only way I could fix it was to take it off and replace it with a Minn Kota. ;)

The best I found was clear lithium based grease on all the hinges.

Steve

First, remove the screws that hold down the pedal assembly and turn the pedal over. Then remove the four screws that hold down the base unit. Pull the entire unit off as a whole. Take the cover off the head and check the inside gearings. Lube them with lithium grease. Check the bearings in the lower section of the shaft and lubricate those with the grease. Then, spray all exposed metal with WD-40. After everything is lubed up, pick it up, and carry it to the street... and replace it with a Minn Kota! :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry! Couldn't resist. Seriously though - it's very hard to ascertain where you should lube something without actually being able to hear where the squeek is coming from. It could be a ton of different places. I'd lube everything - if it has a moving part, I'd lube it with either grease or oil.

All the best,

Glenn

Ear plugs. Even better if you carry a radio and can turn it up louder.

After everything is lubed up, pick it up, and carry it to the street

LOL, ya I do plan to replace it sometime with something more powerful...and quiet.

Agree with disposal if the TM isn't powerful enough. However, if your assumption is that another TM [of any make] is guaranteed to be quieter, you are mistaken. When I opted out of my 43 MG, I selected a MK 55PD/AP/US--also noisy.

I had a similar problem, mine squeeked and was a bit hard to turn. What I did was in the garage put the t-motor down and had my kids on the deck push the pedal until I could "hear" where exactly the problem was. For mine it was the top bearings and when I took the shaft out/apart I found the bearings/races were falling apart, replaced them and greased them up and quiet as a mouse!

So i would first identify where the squeek is, then you can work toward finding the specific problem.

Trep

If its squeaking when you turn the motorits most likley what Trep decsribed, the beagings need to be lubed. Its a commong thing on all trolling motors. If the mount is creaking with you get on the power its just kinda the way it is wit hthe #1 mount that comes with tthe 43# motors, a gator mount fixes it but a Minnkota fixes it better....

I like Glenn's 3 step plan on for trolling motor happeness

1) Remove Motorguide

2) Replace with a Minnkota

3) Live hapily ever after LOL

I couldnt agree with him more, minnkota is the only way to go in my book.

In all seriousness everyone - I just want to say the pokes at Motorguide are all written in fun - no offence meant to anyone that owns one, nor to the company. I love my Minn Kota trolling motors, and have for quite some time. To me, you just can't get any better. But then again, that is just my opinion. I know Motorguide makes a good product - they have a huge following. However, I have owned Motorguides on all of my boats (factory rigged), and every one of them has been replaced by a Minn Kota, including my most recent Tour edition on my Triton, mostly due to squeeks, but some of it had to do with stiff pedals, small push power button on opposite side of the pedal than what I am used to, etc....

I hope you get your motor fixed, and it gives you much more life. But if it doesn't, then I would seriously consider a new Minn Kota.

All the best,

Glenn

Ya I do plan on getting a MK, but it maybe xmas before I get it. I've only had the boat like a month and wife will shoot me if i go buy a TM at this point :)

Who said anything about telling your wife you bought it? What you do is buy whatever you want (cash), and then raffle it off (only sell one ticket - to yourself). Then have a buddy call and say "Hello is this Jason's home? It is? Is Jason home? (make sure you are not) Well could you please tell him he won the trolling motor raffle and he can come pick it up today" :lol::lol::lol:

I know, I know... I'm evil. You gotta admit though.... that's a good 'un!

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, You have way to much time on your hands!!

Are you bobbing again??

I'll be at BPS on Saturday!!!

KB

KB,

I'm "bobbing" again.... but NOT FOR LONG!!! I got orders! Yeah! I got orders! Yeeeehaaaa!!!! (doin' the happy dance.... doin' the happy dance) :lol::lol::lol: I'm getting off the ship before they go on cruise. I am scheduled to depart in late September, so I get to stay home for hunting season, the remainder of fishing tournament season, my sons Birthday/Christmas (same day), etc.... :D:D:D:D:D:D I'm so happy, I could cry! Ha!

All the best,

Glenn

Back