Triton Boats bought by Brunswick

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Wow.... Earl Bentz is back working for Brunswick.. He started out as a race boat driver for Mercury and with the sale announced today he is back. Brunswick now owns Triton boats... The available hulls for OMC and Yamaha just got exponentially smaller. Where does this leave a Triton/OMC or Yamaha Dealer?

Did they also announce that Mercury would be the exclusive motor available on Tritons?

They may be owned by the same company - but that doesn't mean that they can't operate independently..... Even though that may end up being what happens.....

Geez..... Just think how horrible it would be if you couldn't get a Corvette LT-1 in a Mustang GT..... :huh:

Lund and Crestliner are now shipped with Mercury Motors from the factory "prerigged"... It is about $1000+ higher to get the boat and uninstall the Merc parts and install the Yamaha/OMC control sets, gauges, etc... So, just like the Mustang you CAN put an LT-1 in it if you want to pay the bucks....

I'd rather have a 427 Cobra! :)

C_rt_sd.jpg

Saw one yesterday at the car show in St Charles IL... a real 427 Shelby Cobra....

...oh... ...drool............

I used to love to watch Mac Yates race his in SSCA competition back in the 70's..... His was blue with white stripes..... I want one!! :)

Or..... a 1967, 427/435, 4-speed, red Corvette fastback with side pipes! :)

Or..... being a bit more practical..... A Lotus Europa with the twin-cam engine would do!

Healey 100/6 in a pinch..... or Porshe 914/6.....

Or..... a white/ blue stripe Shelby GT-350!

Stacie while your dreaming will you order me a 1969 Boss 429 Mustang. Please:D

BF

OK Staci, i'm not asking for a lot just a '69 vette 427 tripower 3 speed manual with numbers matching, leather and convertible!!!

I ALMOST bought one in 1990 for $10k, had the cash in my pocket (for a house sale in chicago) and looked but didn't test drive. The $10k was the downpayment on our first house (2 years later) and I gave up the car dream for a wife!

MAN that car is now worth WELL over $200k!!!

I had another reply but you made the right choice. To drag it out a little, my boss and I where talking just this afternoon about the last Torino I bought, 1971 Torino Cobra, 429, 4 speed, bench seat with power brakes and AC. He saw it in a parking lot in Baltimore city and called me. I bought the car the next day. I sold it 6 months later because I lived in an apartment and had no place to store it. Granted I used the money for a down payment on my home. But I wish I had that car back. BTW there where only 785 made that year that way..

Dumb boy dumb

BF

I completely understand this from a business standpoint, however, I think it is bad news for the Triton brand.

Once upon a time, Brunswick was pretty good at ruining boat brands. They've figured out how not to do that anymore. Now they just remove the soul of a brand. None of the brands owned by Brunswick (Sea Ray, Bayliner, Hatteras, Boston Whaler, among others) are what they were at their peak as indpendent companies.

I'm not saying they won't produce decent product and reasonably support their customers. But any chance for greatness is gone, because greatness cannot exist in a conglomerate like Brunswick, where the margin for the bottom line is already predetermined and brand managers get fired for not making that bottom line. They will no longer make breakthroguh products. Instead, they will try to make breakthrough cost savings. Hence, the lack of soul.

Earl Bentz has already demonstrated he is a maverick. His personality doesn't mesh well with ivory tower mentality. I expect he'll be out of there within two years.

Hope they don't kill some of my favorite boats (the LTS boats are bee-u-tee-ful).

Wasn't it Brunswick that almost brought about the demise of Harley-Davidson?

Bruce F -

My old friend "Datsun 240Z Ken's" brother bought a Torino while he was in the Air Force..... I think it was that same year and model! I'll have to e-mail him and find out.....

But when it comes to Dream Cars.....

Trep%20and%20pimpmobile.jpg

O.K. Staci you got me goin'...here's my fav which I owned...SS 396..."One Bad Boy":cool:

396 SS.JPG

A picture of what mine looked like - exactly.

69_GTX.jpg

Those Chevelle's were great cars, albeit a might slow. . . . .

1969 Plymouth GTX, 440, 4 speed, no A/C (they wouldn't put them in the 4 speed models). Lost once at the strip to a HEMI with slicks and headers, that I had to spot .5 seconds at the start (go figure). Beat me by a fender. No GM product EVER took my big green beauty. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it, but do have a replica at home now.

Tex

Fast ? With looks like that...Who Cares!:lol:

GM still makes the " best lookin"....and that's known:D

DSC00084.jpg

Bruce -

I got back a reply from Ken.....

"Vince's was a 351 windsor - 4 barrel - no cobra jet - but a nice car!"

Hey Stacie then it should have been a 68 or 69. I need to get a scanner and do some of my old photos. My stuff was never show quality but I only lost like 10 races in 6 years and I can name them all. I lost 3 in one night to 3 different 440 six pack Road Runners, you would think I would learn.

BF

The year was 1971.....

Jane and I with my 1963, 327/250 hp, 3-speed stick Corvette.

Jane and I are good friends to this day!

JaneNme.jpg

Back