Trim & TIlt woes, any ideas?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Whittemore

Reaction score
The up side of my trim and tilt has been intermittent in the past. It rarely works now. I have isolated the problem to the motor itself. Every time I hit the up button the 12volts is relayed to the blue (up) wire going to the t/t motor but it fails to spin.

I pulled the top of the motor and the brushes are fine. However the blue wire connects to what appears to be a capacitor or a condensor which ever you prefer. The connection looked a litte degraded so I cleaned it up and resoldered it. Put the motor back together and still the up side remains inoperative. I am after this capacitor now. Does anyone out there know where I can get the capacitor or the entire top plate with or without the brushes but with the capacitor?

Or have knowledge about the size in microfarads and material type, ie. mica, electrolytic (I doubt), tantilum etc. I failed to get a part number off the cap., really didn't think to look until now.

Any ideas will be appreciated....

It is likely your relay. They are about $15 and only 5 minutes to replace. I don't know where it is located exactly on your motor, but you should have spares anyway. One way to be sure is to swap them. There should be 2, one for up and one for down. Switch them. If your up starts working and the down won't then you know it's the relay. Then buy 2, one for the repair and one for a spare.

Rob, if the relay were bad, the motor wouldn't get any juice, correct? He's saying the motor gets juice going into it (past the relay). At least I think that's what a relay does... :)

You're right Mike...

I've got the thing apart and checked the comutator and rotor segments, everything is open with no shorts internally. I had swapped the relays previously. When I get the gear box back together I'll check the ground connections. It was really a dumb thing I did taking the motor apart. The relays change the polarity applied to the motor. If it spins in one direction, there is nothing in the motor to stop it from turning in the other direction.

Rob is correct in assuming wiring due to my last statement.

The problem has to be on the ground side.

Will let you guys know when I get 'er figured out.

The thing I thought was a capacitor / condensor has a short across it so it is not a cap., I'm starting to think it's a thermal cut out.

The mystery continues. Sooner or later I'll know along with the Shadow what is happening.

Richard,

What is the serial number off of your motor?

It should be on a silver tag on the right side of the trim bracket. EX 0D000297

I just went through the same thing and will look up the parts while it is still fresh in my mind.

I may also have bad news.

I also sent you an e-mail.

Steve

Here is the parts express site

Ps.I believe that thing on the top cap of the motor is a overload breaker thingey.If it heats up,it opens and breaks the circuit.

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/HomePage/homepage.asp

Take a look at this.

Is this the unit you have?
51_500.gif

I had a problem like that a few years ago when I had my TX-17. It turned out to be a solenoid. There is one to go up and one to go down. Hope that helps.

Bill S.

Steve R. That is almost the unit I have. Just some minor variances. I checked my email and I haven't received your email yet. I am very interested in what you have about my engine etc. I have been trying all day to find something.

If I don't get it I will let you know.

I went home and jumped on it. I put them motor and pump back togther and it worked straight from the battery. So I went back to the relays. Even though the 12 volts was being switched the motor needs a ground also. Even though I changed the relays position a couple of times I failed to look into the ground wire in the down relay SOCKET!!! After cleaning it up and soldering it the thing hasn't missed.

So guys, Check the ground side of things before you tear into the pumps and motors!

Back