Trickle Charger vs Batter Tender

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hamilton

Reaction score
Getting ready to winterize the big pontoon and the jetski (Bass boat goes all year 'round) and wanted opinions on pulling the batteries out of the two and storing them in the garage with either a trickle charger or battery tender on them during the winter season to keep them charged. Any comments on the pros or cons of either device. I have standalone battery chargers that I could put on the batteries every 30-60 days but that means I gotta remember to do that. Would appreciate your thoughts and comments, as always.

Bill:

Using a trickle charger is just what it says, a trickle charger. There is a constant charge going to the battery. Using the battery tender the charge will shut off when the battery is fully charged. I would definitly go with the battery tender. Last year I had a battery trickle charger on one of my batteries and was adding water every 2-3 weeks. The batteries on the tender I never had to add water. I got my battery tender from the Honda dealer in my area. Seems like the motorcycle entusiasts uses them in the off season.

Mike

Oprion c: put the trickle charger on a timer so it cycles on its own.

Option D: I have a two bank Pro Charger (that needs a good home) that I took out of my boat when I upgraded to a 3 bank Guest

BF

Bruce - I like Option D! LOL I have the battery from the jetski and the pontoon boat so a 2 bank would be just the ticket. If you want to part with it bring it with you on when you and Unca Billy come to the Memorial on December 1st.

Thanks

Bill - be careful even with the Pro Charger. Had my spare Everstart trolling battery on a Pro Charger and stopped checking the water over the winter. Foolish on my part. Next spring when I needed it for the portable trolling motor, I had a dry (and stinky) battery! It's fine to leave the Pro Charger plugged in and hooked up, just check the water once a month or so.

Jim C, That goes with any battery charging system. If you went with any of the options that is a given. When I had the Western Auto in Fallston and people would buy deep cycle batteries for their battery back up sump pumps I would tell them the same thing. Put a mark on the calender to check the water level of your battery or check the water level of your basement when it fails....

Bill it's all yours, if you want it sooner let me know and I can either A: pre fish for the memorial or B: Mail it to you.

BF

Bruce, if you going to prefish the memorial and take that charger to Bill earlier, I'll go along if you don't have other plans. Then I'll just move in with Bill or Jim C. until the real memorial:lol::lol: Is it ok if I bring the dogs????:D:lol::D:lol:

Uncle Billy

Bruce - You are ALWAYS welcome to come and pre-fish. The passes are ALWAYS under the front mat on the porch. Don't be a stranger and that has nothing to do with the charger. All you guys are welcome to come and fish anytime and I don't even have to be here. If you can't pre-fish just bring it with you. You don't need to mail it.

Uncle Billy - we always wanted a cantankerous, white-haired caretaker for the house! :lol::D:lol:

Seriously, if my work schedule permits, I might be able to get out the night before the Not-So-Memorial event. If I can swing it, you and Bruce are welcome to spend the night with me. Only condition being that you not outfish me! Oh wait, that would mean you would have to catch only dinks or nothing at all - nevermind that part!! :p:p:p

Hey Jim C, That sounds like an offer to good to refuse. It would be late evening before we could get there. Even leaving right from work I would think because of traffic 10ish or so?

BF

Wouldn't be an issue. I'd be getting there about the same time!