Transom Savers

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Sullivan

Reaction score
Happy New Year all...

Question for you guys about replacing a transom saver (mine was stolen - if you can believe that). How does one go about choosing a replacement? Are some brands better than others? Is it worth the extra 20 or 30 bucks to buys an aluminum one from swivel-ease rather than getting the standard one from BPS?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sean

* By the way, I recently moved from DC to Raleigh, NC, so if any of you Triangle-area guys want to share some of your favorite spots, I am all ears... :D

I could have believed yours was stolen until you wrote--"if you can believe that"--which allowed doubt to creep into my mind .... ;)

It's hard to tell if the Swivel-Eze is actually better than the standard transom saver. I'm confident that it is no worse, so for me $20 for the possibility of the "spring" helping out is worth it. I think if you travel bumpy roads, like the ones they have in MO, the spring would have to do some good.

After breaking my store issued one backing up after forgetting I bought a the Bass Pro one for about $40. Works great.

fatrap

Lock and Stow. Your motor will not move at all. Love it.

Lock and Stow always - there will be no other attached to my engine. Since I started using one, I fully see all of the advantages, and no disadvantages. I've been though the "debates" that Toxic touched on above. I've had people use mathematical equations, physics, etc... to try to prove their point. Yeah, OK.. whatever. :lol: I just know what works - Lock and Stow. There is no other. I've got a regular transom saver gathering dust in a corner of my garage.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, why not sell him that one that is gathering dust? Make a few bucks and clean the garage a little! Ha ha!

Randy!

Randy,

Maybe, just maybe, that is why I mentioned it. :p

After all, he does live in the same state I'm in... and I'm driving up north on 95 tomorrow....

All the best,

Glenn

So, for those of us without Lock N' Stow ... should we expect our transoms to fall off on the interstate?

Yes Marty. Especially yours. I wouldn't doubt if it was falling off as we speak. I'd immediately run outside, check it, and get it replaced before it happens. :p Geez man. Come on.

No... it's not going to fall off on the interstate. I used the standard transom savers for years before the Lock N' Stow came out. Only had a few problems. Had one bend (not fixable) on a big pothole hit, and had two of them split in the v channel before they changed over to the newer designed ones that were beefed up in that area. The newer designed ones (like the one I have in my garage) worked fine, but the rubber knobs did seem to wear out / take a permanant fix after a short while, which put the leading edge of the lower unit touching the bare metal in the V channel up front.

Once the Lock N' Stow came out for the Mercs, I swapped over and never want to go back. I can't say it has been without any problems so far - I have to admit that the rubber inserts have worn out and needed to be replaced about once a year or so. I called the company and they sent me new ones free of charge.

Now hurry up and go out there and replace it before it falls off Marty! :lol:

Take care,

All the best,

Glenn

I like the kind that secure to the trailer... Physics, no physics... My mechanic tells me what to do and I do it... He is a "god" to me...LOL

Greg,

Perfectly understandable. It's hard to find a mechanic that you can trust, but when you do, it's great, isn't it?

All the best,

Glenn

I will tell you what I know, my back sure likes the lock n stow better.

BF.

P.S Like Glenn I do have the old style in the shed collecting dust. Mine will go for the price of shipping.

One other really nice thing I like about the LNS - I take it off and put it in the back storage compartment of my boat. It's very small compared to that long bar of the old style. The old style one always required a trip to the truck to store it somewhere. The new one gets tucked away in the storage box, and my retractable straps stay on the trailer, so when I stow my boat for the day at the ramp, everything is "right there" when I go to lock it down. Great feature.

My back, just like Bruce F, likes not having to bend over so much too. Great point Bruce.

All the best,

Glenn

If you dont break a transom or the transom saver (whatever kind you have) around here (Metro Detroit Highways) I dont think it will break anywhere! Aint that right CIII?

Mini

Motor Toters and Transon Savers has gone around and around here a number of times. I don't know how good they are but I live on the Chesapeake Bay and I see a LOT of larger boats with BIG motors and even two or three or four motors and I rarely, if ever, see a motor toter on any of them. I don't know what they do but what I said is the truth. I'll have to ask around this spring.

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back