Transom Saver on I/O Motor?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Theys2

Reaction score
I have a new Tahoe boat with I/O motor. Simple Question - Should I use a Transom Saver on the motor when trailering? Is this typically done? This is my first I/O boat so i am clueless.

Reaaly, I'm serious.......They use the PVC pipes on the trim spikes instead of the kind that go to the trailer via the lower unit. Always has been a debate as to whether or not the transome savers really do anything to save the transom.

TOXIC

I agree Tox...what does the ones on outboards really save? Sure ain't the transom!

If I had clearance(which is usually the problem) my motor would stay down during tow.

The ones on the outboards save the trim cylinders.

Thats all most transom savers do anyway. I have heard conflicting reports of whether you should use them or not. At one time Stratos Boats said no....all it does is transfer the rough road to your outboard, THUS INCREASING the amount of stress on the transom.

You are always better to get clarification from the boat manufacturer before using or not using one.

Mini

I've also read that they cause stress cracks on the lower unit case. I don't know...I still use mine. It just seems logical that all that weight ought to be supported some way.

Harpo

I do not use a transom saver that attaches to the trailer, I use the motor bracket on my Evinrude, I asked Ranger and they said keep on using the motor bracket, it has been doing good for the last 8 years.

Back