Transom going under water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Weaver

Reaction score
I have an 03 Targa 17 foot. When I have 3 or more persons in the boat and my 30 gallon shad tank the port transome corner really dips in the water and pumps water in the boat on left turns.

Has anyone else had this problem - should I add trim tabs - the shad tank is in the very bow of the boat trying to drop the bow to raise the transom - but this does not seem to work. I can ask people sitting on the port side to stand more in the middle and that helps.

Just don't know.

Any Ideas will help.

Thanks

30 gallons of water = over 240 pounds. I doubt the boat was designed for that load to be added along with three people. I would say you are overlaoding the vessel. Check your rating plate, add up what you have in the boat and report back.

Mini issuing taskings--so military it is causing me to swoon ... :wacko::wacko:.

The boat may not be overloaded according to the load plate, but it sounds like it is unbalanced toward the aft end. Where is the shad tank mounted? Where are the batteries on that boat?

The tank (when I use it) is located all the way to the front of the bow. I have 2 trolling batteries in the middle of the walk thru windshield. One cranking battery on the port side.

I will check the load plate tomorrow.

Thanks

3 people (avg 175 pound ea) = 525lbs.

30 gallons of water = 240lbs.

motor = ?

fishing gear = ?

batteries = ?

gasoline = ?

you are at 765 of 795 pounds BEFORE motor and gear. You are overloaded.

Tee - you get three of me, yeah visualize 3 Trepers!!! That's only 200lbs totaL!!! LOL

The boat is rated at 135 max - I have a 90 hp classic

was hoping that I had a little more to work with.

Thanks Everyone

My Targa 18 lists to port as well with a 90 Merc, but it's the prop torque causing it, so trim tabs may help BUT you still need to get the weight down.

John

Latest posts

Back