Transmission Fluid

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
OK...

Be honest...

How often do you change the transmission fluid (or have it flushed and changed) in your towing vehicle???

az

167,xxx on this Jeep; never changed it

231,xx on my previous Jeep; never changed it.

I've always been know for putting well over 100,000 miles on all my vehicles. I have never changed transmission fluid in any of them.

Since about 1983, all the cars I've driven on the street have been automatics. Only one ever required a transmission rebulid; that was a 1984 S-10 Blazer. They had put bad transmissions in them that year and I had to rebuild this one twice in 150,xxx miles.

I check it often, change only when the fuid is off color. Have only changed it once on a car i ended up having transmission problems on.

Well Bob I' with you,

Faithfully once a year in all my vehicles no matter the miles; (trans, transfer case, Frt & Rear Diff's) Synthetics are the only thing that touch anything I own that has a motor.

Dennis

I have it changed every 30,000 miles in my automatics. I lost a complete tranny in my Ford Wagon at 75,000, and since have had it inspected and fluids changed every 30k

Trep

Once a year for me on the tow vehicle...both trans and diffs. My cars might go a bit longer between changes but I still change it. Just changed the Diff fluid in my Nissan at 20K miles...it had the usual wear material in the fluid that I like to get out of there so it does not cause any premature wear. I consider the fluids a small price to pay compared to a new trans or diff gears.

hmmmm

varied responses...

Here why I asked:

Jeep recommends to change it every 15,000 miles!

az

I do mine yearly, the tranny, diffs and case all get new oil as well as a new set of plugs for the motor. With the amount of driving i do its about every 25k i do mine. Im a big fan of synthetic too.

Once a year. The fluid is not a big problem, It will last , but the filter needs to be changed with servicing. Bubby

Tranmission fluid will only go bad if its burned. That's just a fact, not any of the transmission fluid companies want you to know this. Now of course you can get shavings in the fluid, which could cause extra wear. Hopefully your trans filter is doing its job though.

Kinda another reason i like the Allison transmission, since i can change the filter as often as i want.

The allison has the filter on the outside? thats way cool. Does it have a drain plug too? Thats the one thing i cant stand is how they dont put drain plugs on automatic tranny's. Next time i do mine im going to put weld a drain plug on it. The pan in my dodge holds about 7 quarts and its a real pain to pull down. It would be much easier with a plug.

Not sure bout a drain plug have never drained it. The Allison spin on filter is easy to get to and replace.

"Transmission fluid will only go bad if its burned"

In my opinion "bad" is a relative word here. It is true that the fluid will not go bad unless it is burned. That being said there are a lot of things that will change it effectiveness. Heat is what kills transmissions & trans fluid. Non-synthetic fluid start breaking down around 200 degrees; not that it is burnt at that point but some of the chemical make up is lost or changed making it not quit as effective at lubricating & dissipating heat. The other concern that was brought up by BMCD is getting shaving or contaminates in the fluid. The filter will catch a good portion of it however the as mentioned most trans can not change the fluid without dropping the pan / i.e. a fluid change.

It is well worth the effort to do.

Dennis

Jim,

I have had great success with a bolt-in drain plug kit made by B&M. It comes with the drain plug & 2 seals. The only thing I did was use tread locker and I dimpled the treads after installation (I never plan on removing it). I have never had a problem with leaks on either vehicle & it works great. I'm sure there are some other companies that make good quality bolt-in plus too. No welding, no welds to rust, & real quick to install. I think I paid less than $25 bucks for the last one & you can install it with a cordless drill and a couple of wrenches.

Dennis

BMCD

my dodge has a spin on too but its inside the pan along with a normal press in filter. Its easy to change but with 7 quarts in the pan it can be a pain to take down.

superduty,

I have used the bolt in ones before. They do work good but i have had problems with leaking on them long term. the gaskets break down over time. The next time i take mine down im going to put in a weld in one. My pan is aluminum on this truck so with an aluminum plug and tig welded with an aluminum stick rust should be a non issue.

Well Jim I have one installed over 5 yrs.. no leaks yet (thank goodness) but I guess if one of did leak I would replace the gasket when changing the fluid.

You're right you should not have any rust problems doing it that way.

No offense, but super duty is the correct one here, 15 yrs in the transmission industry has taught me every 30k, synthetic is the very best also!

Back