Tranny cooler....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
O.K. guys....This is a question that's really for my dad. He has a 97 Silverado and wants to add a tranny cooler. Now I just had a tranny shop put one on mine a few years ago and they hooked it up without going thru the radiator like the instructions for his tranny instructions show. They run the lines straight thru the cooler instead....

Which configuration cools better?

TEE

Tru cool..The only way to go..Inline with the Rad..instructions will be in the box

I had "Cerified Transmission" install it -- They dropped the pan-- replaced the filter / -- flushed the tranny / new fluid-- price of the cooler + install.. Came to a total of $280..

Rick

Through the radiator is best because you are getting more cooling fins and cooling area per square inch than with the smaller coolers that come with some of the aftermarket ones. But, even a smaller cooler is better than no cooler at all.:D

My point is... I'm not sure the one they put on mine is maybe a different type cooler because it's close to the size of the radiator itself ...maybe an oil cooler. All I know is mine does not go thru the radiator.

Guess he better go by his directions.

I have a brand new tranny cooler for a dodge 93 deisel I need to ge rid of. It mounts on the frame and the lines tap into the coolr and it has it's own t-stat controlled fan.

The optimal setup is thru the radiator first, then the cooler. The radiator is dissipating engine heat, so it is like a step down cooling process.

Back