Trailer bunks...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
I noticed over the weekend that my trailer bunks and wheel seals need to be be replaced also.:( It's an 02' so I' wondering how manys years of use you guys are getting?

The seals I could actually understand but, I think that's a little soon for bunks...one is rotted pretty bad. I am gonna' go by a few's advice here and not carpeting the bottom.

Any places to get good marine carpet?

Thanks in advance,

Tee

Tee - I had to replace my 2000 bunks in late 2003 at almost 4 years. The whole bunk didn't rot but one of the bunks screw holes COMPLETELY rotted, so I did both. I got my carpet at Home Depot, if I did it again i'd probably just order the pre-cut from BPS so its easier and quicker.

Tee do you store yours inside? A buddy of mine had to replace the bunks on his ranger trailer every 3 years or so when he had it because he stored it inside because they never dried out. His bunks would be wet after a week out of the water.

on my boat i had to do one last summer, my boat is an 00 yeay. I just ended up doing all of them to be safe, i got the carpet at lowes and the pressure treated wood too.

Yes it is inside the garage after use...so it makes sense that they are not drying.

Anybody using composite material?

Inside storage combined with short tows, will not allow the bunks to dry out. I replace 3 of six in Louisana last year. As soon as i launched my boat the 2 outside boards fell off. Mines an 01

TEE I dont have composit on my trailer but on my boat lift I have composit bunks they have ben on there for 15 years and havent had to do a thing to them

JD

I forgot to mention I have 2 lifts for 2 diferent boats my other lift has treated wood and I replaced them 3 times in the same time frame

JD

BMCD - I had not thought of that, and it makes sense. My 2000 Tracker bunks (one of them) rotted the screw hole out. My 1999 Nitro which has been stored outside all its life is fine on the bunks! Ok, MAN I need to next go to composite with carpet so they don't rot again, i am NOT keeping my boat outside!

Fatrap - garage or outdoor? What did you replace them with?

Always in a garage year around. I replaced my with treated 2X4 that I soaked with my special 50% ployurethene 50% mineral spirits mix. I gave the ends about three coats, just let it soak it up. The thinner mixture soaks in deeper.

The last time I replaced was in 1998.

fatrap

Must have been those spirits, Fatrap, I'll drink more next time!! LOL That is probably (the special sauce you marinated them in) why they are lasting longer. One thing I did do on my Tracker (for the benefit of who ever buys it) is coat the inside of each pre-drilled screw hole with marine silicone sealant!

I had to do my bunks about 2-3 years ago and I replace the seals on my trailer about every year. I just did one of the seals and it lasted only about a month, I must have tightened it down too much or not enough, so now I gotta order more and do it again before I go to lake powell next month. What a headache this is becoming. But that is what happens when you own a boat and trailer it like I do.

I've got an 2000 trailer for my TV-18...

Always stored in the garage...gets wet in a lake or the river at least 5 times a week during the season...still on my original boards and carpet...however, I'm just starting to see where the carpet is worn through on one edge of one of the bunks...

Those 'bunkboards' look pretty sweet...anyone using them with a painted hull?

az

I got 4 years out of my 99 pt185. One bunk was rotted pretty bad. Added no carpet when I replaced them, used carriage bolts instead of the lag screws to hold them on the brackets. Did add 100% top coverage with 1/2" thick x 3 1/2" wide UHMW for glide sticks. Mounted the UHMW with 5/16" counter sunk carriage bolts. Boat loads and unloads super easy, plus visual inspection of the bunks is a breeze.

Carl - I assume with the glide slicks you do NOT unhook the bow before backing down right!!

Ultimate Bunk Boards look pretty pricey! Probably looking at over $100 for 4 boards.

Carl -

What is UHMW?

Thanks

Paul

Only two bunks on the 175 & 185...the sides are good. And that'd be about $200+ for 4....

Trep & Paul,

UHMW is a "Ultra-High Molecular Weight" polyethylene thermoplastic. It has low frictional characteristics and high impact resistance. Good for wear strips, guides and is machinable. Depending upon just how steep the ramp is, it will slide down. On a steep ramp I will keep my strap attached until I am ready to unload. It works fanatastic but it's not a real cheap product.

The best thing I like is that the boat loads with ease, especially when you want to get it up to the front rest stop to attach the strap. Also no carpet on bunks to hold excessive moisture.

Ahhhh I just wimped out last nite and bought two boards,carpet,glue and SS staples that come to $30. I'll just do it again in about 4 years:huh:

My 2000 PC175 still has the original bunks. They are still in great shape! My boat is stored outside from October - May and most of the time it is in the garage during fishing season.

When I return home from fishing though I usually leave the boat outside for a day or so to dry out. When I hose the boat off after use I tend to get the inside a bit damp and don't lke to put it in the garage wet!

Mike L.

Anyone with a Fiberglass boat use them? Hopefully it will be YEARS till I need them, but the Nitro is 6 years old on the original bunks, no carpet torn and the screws are all holding. I might this fall pull each screw and re-seal them with marine 3M sealant.

Just had mine done this spring, too lazy to do it myself so I had my marina do it while I was out fishing:p I have 6 pieces and it was $280 for full replacememt.

TOXIC

Back