Trailer brakes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Moss

Reaction score
I have a 2002 tacoma double cab 4x4.Im buying the 750nx.The boat trailer dosent have trailer brakes and weighs around 2400lbs.My othere boat weighed 1600lbs.Should I spend the extra money and get the brakes.Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.thanks

My Jeep Cherokee stopped more quickly while pulling a 20' Nitro 2000DC with trailer barkes than it did pulling a 17 1/2' Nitro 180DC without.

Having had both..... And having seen the difference..... Given the opportunity..... I'd spend the extra buxs.

Do the drum brakes hold up well or should I go with the disc brakes.

My trailer had drums - but it was a 1996.

Again, given the choice, I'd choose disc.

Yea I figured with the water getting in them and sand and dirt.It wouldnt be too long before it eats up the shoes and the drums.Thanks for your help.I will probably just by the brake kit and put it on my self.I work on aircraft and cars.I dont think it would be that hard.The dealer gets about 75bucks an hour for labor.

Just my .02.. after you trailer with brakes 1 time you will never go back. Disc is better than drum.

BF

Agree with everyone above... I still have memories of sliding thru a major intersection thanks to rain slick roads and no trailer brakes on an 18' triton with a Jeep Cherokee...

Get them, and the disc brakes are the way to go!

Back