Tracker SportJet

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have found a 96 Tracker SportJet (90 HP). Understand it is in great shape. Any assistance I can get on what to look for would be appreciated.

Doug

Not too many jets here on the board but they have their place. They get into skinny water. There is a big HP drop from jet to prop so you are looking at about the equivelant of a 60hp propped motor. They are loud and caution has to be given to make sure you don't suck things up in the motor. Weeds are a hassle. I'm sure there are more positives but most that I know are used in the rivers with shallow water and BIG rocks.

TOXIC

Thanks Toxic,

Does anyone know any problems with the 1996 18' Trackers, I am assuming that in 96 the SportJet was not a welded boat and am a little concerned about that. I am assuming that since it is a SportJet there should'nt be any problem with transom. I just would like to have the benefit of knowing what problems to look for that may be unique to a Tracker.

Doug

Dougs,

This is a very popular boat for shallow river fishing. I own a 2003 185 sportjet (175hp) for fishing the susquehana river in Pa. great on the river poor on ga$$. I would not reccomend this boat if you are not fishing skinny waters.

Downsides 1)not for big water. (flat Bottom)

2)not good on grassy waters (Grass leaves get sucked up intake) they do make a rake for clearing intake that folds up for storage.

3)When engine is running there is always some thrust (boat will move) at pump even when in neutral.

4) bad fuel economy (my boat gets about 1 mpg at wot.)and has only an 18 gal capacity.

upsides.

1) great on skinny water

2) on plane instantly

3) Fun to drive (Fast I go about 50mph fully loaded)

4) you can fish areas that do not get much fishing pressure

Hope this helps

Frank

Frank,

How much water do you need to drift (float)?

How shallow can you run?

I mainly fish the Shendoah in VA, it ranges from inches to 15' in the areas I fish. My prop boat can't get me over some of the sumerged ledges where the water is swift. My boat will float over some but can't use the motor it would destroy the prop. I can float in about 3" but need 8" for the prop. I was impressed with the SportJet the first time I saw one and have watched posts regarding it on this and another board.

Doug

Jeeze, I wade fish the doah, very few places where a boat can even go. What a blast though!! I've been up on the Susky with some river rats who actually have molded teflon (pretty thick also) on the hulls of their jets. These crazy fools jump ledges!!!!

TOXIC

Back