Tracker Pro 175 with 25HP four stroke?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Hi all, I am considering a Tracker Pro 175 with 25 HP four stroke. I would be interested in hearing opinions from anyone that has had a 25 HP (or not). The main lake I fish (70% of the time) is trolling motor only (this is where I would store the boat). Two other lakes I fish (15% of the time) have a 25 HP limit. I plan to also fish the IL river (15% of the time ). Will the 25 HP push me up and down the river OK?

I hope the sales people readily tell people that what they are about to purchase won't plane? Then again, that might be the first thing they say followed by promotion of the upgrade.

man the boat will do fine evn in the river. but they are right it won't plane out.

I DISAGREE... While my PT175 is a 98 and is a little lighter, with the 25HP 2 stroke that I upgraded to last year it WILL PLANE OUT. With two adults and all compartments and live well full, I get about 20MPH per the speedometer. Trust me, I had a 9.9 to start with and it took me five years to see that my speedo actually worked.

No offense taken. I wasn't aware that there was that much of a difference. I guess I'm glad I didn't get a 4-stroke.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming. Per Tracker's website the 2 stroke goes 23-24 MPH and the 4 stroke goes 21-23 MPH. I called the dealer, if I upgrade to the 4 stroke the warranty goes from 1 year to 5 years and also includes the power trim feature free. Will this help the boat plane? I will be fishing mostly back waters expect coming and going.

i dont think its gonna help much but maybe a lil bit, listen ur only dealin with a 25 hp with a 17 feet boat, what can you expect. i have a 14 lake john with a 25 on it and it only goes bout 25 wide open. and it is a jon boat with no decks , so my point is mine dont weigh half of wwhat a tracker weighs. but like i said it will do fine in the places you described. besides how fast ru going when you are bass fishing !!!! as long as it gets you around on the bodies of water ur fine, especially if the limit is 25 hp i think ur doing right ok. thass my opinion for what its worth, and ive been dealing with boats and motors fo over 20 yrs........paul.

Go with 2 stroke and use the money you saved to buy an Extended Service COntract.

The 25hp-2stroke is virtually bullet-proof.

I have the 25 4 stroke on my 2003 PT175. You definately need to get the power tilt/trim. Both to help plane out quicker, but also for general adjustments depending upon loading. It is also nice to be able to raise from the front casting deck when threading yourself through shallow areas. Here are my specific comments. I almost never have more than a half a tank of gas primarily because it last forever with this motor and I like to keep it fresh. I will get up to 3/4 full if I have multiple day trip planned on larger lake. With myself(175lbs), average tackle/equipment, empty livewell I run about 21mph on plane. Put another 175-200lb person in with their gear and I loose close to 1-2 mph, but still seem to plane ok. I have had three adults in the boat with gear and then planing is usually out of the question if I remember right. I am surrounded by 25hp lakes here in central Illinois so everone you see has one or the other. You might get an extra 1 or 2 MPH with the 2 stroke basically because it is so much lighter than my 4 stroke, but that is not guaranteed. I have outrun both versions in local tournaments. Either 25 hp is a little undersized for the boat so every extra pound in the boat you will notice. Unfortunately, in this area you have no other choice unless you are willing to break the law(I'm not)and re-sticker or re-carb. For myself I love the quiet of the 4 stroke and the smoothness and the gas mileage, etc. I have un-winterized three times this winter for trips on an unusually warm day and the motor fires up immediately with no problems everytime. Let me know if you have any other questions about my set-up. By the way what is the trolling motor only lake you are refering to. Sounds like you might be in my neck of the woods just south of Peoria?

Ha ha how did you guess Peoria. Banner Marsh 25 HP, Spring Lake 25 HP. Powerton unlimited but you can see the other side so no need for big HP. Are you happy with your tracker 175? Have you had it out on the river? Farmington strip mine, on the trolling motor only

Back