Toyota 4Runner

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Think a V6 would do ok towing? I would like to stay with a V6 because it gets better gas mileage. It has 245hp and 282 torque. My Mercedes had less than that and did fine. Not sure this is what I will get but I think I have narrowed it to a 4Runner, 2005 Jeep Grand V8, or 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. I can probably pick up a used 4Runner easier than the 2005 models. What do you think about the V6?

The v6 should be no problem. It wont tow as well as a v8 but it with that kind of power it will get the job done.

One thing on the 4.0l v6 in the 4 runner, thats a new motrr for 2005. The older ones have a 3.0l that makes a lot less power.

Glad you said that Jim. I looked at the specs on KBB.com for 2003 & 2004 and they both said 4.0L, 245, and 282.

I could be wrong, but i friend of mine has a 03 and he has the 3.0l in his. I know they also offered a v8 in those too.

Teri, the difference in gas mileage between a V8 and a V6 in the type of vehicles you are describing, even at today's high gas prices, probably won't amount to more than $500/year.

The depreciation hit from using $30,000 vehicles for a year and then getting rid of them...that's another thing altogether. Probably about ten times as costly as the gas issue.

I have the V-8 and it is incredible at towing - my last 4Runner was a V-6 (previous model of 4Runner) and it did alright, but nothing compared to the V-8.... Of course I am towing a 901 CDX with a 200 on it, so I guess it depends on what you are towing...

David

Rich, point taken; however, since I buy cars used the major hit has already happened. I have yet to lose money (maybe on taxes) except a bit on the Mercedes. That's why am I trying to stay away from the 2005's. Although, trading cars is getting old and I would like to get something I will actually keep. I may just drive the ole truck for awhile until I find something used that I like.

Ok...I am convince to look for the V8 Limited. I have to have leather because of my dogs. Its so much easier to clean the hair out.

IMHO...my sister has owned two and I think they ride like a logwagon...just 2 cent.

I am driving a 2005 Jeep Grand with a v8 this weekend while I am in Indy. We'll see.

Back