Toxic how was it at Hampton?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Favors

Reaction score
Hey Toxic, I know we spoke on the phone but never discussed how the weekend went at BPS in Hampton. Richmond was pretty good for Tru Tungsten, I move the heck out of Madd Maxx Frogs and Swimbaits!! :lol:

I had to joke with Teddy they had a bin full of Yum product for $1.99, he didn't fall for it this year!!:lol::lol::lol:

It was reallllllly busy. Chris and Woo Daves were in there and I was giving a Senko seminar on the tank and they both came over to watch!! Talk about pressure!! :lol::lol: So I stayed up there and went into a lot more detail and rigging options. I actually explained the "Wong Rig" they started talking to each other and nodding.:p They didn't do any tank work but gave a couple of talks on a make-shift stage. It was nice since Woo just got inducted into the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame. The drive back to Florida was Brutal!!

TOXIC

I think Chris was translating for Woo...

Jimmy,

I don't know if WI is in my future this year if the work keeps up in FL the way it is projected. Since I pulled the boat down here to FL I know I wont be pulling it to WI and I may even have to fly in to attend the festivities. If that is the case, I may just have to rely on Greg for a day or 2 on the water. I wont have any of my gear either. Maybe I can hook up with Gregs friend and hit the big water again. I've looked at renting a bassboat for my stay on the chain but there are none around.

As for the Wong Rig, I cant imagine what came up if you googled it!!:lol: Actually it is a very simple rig and it works very well. I cant take credit for it. Judy Wong of the WBT won a major tournament fishing the discharge of a powerplant when she could not keep a tube on the bottom because of the current. We ran into the same situation 2 years ago on St Clair. We were drift fishing and the wind was howling so even with drift socks out we could not keep tubes down low in the strike zone because of the speed of the drift. I remembered what Judy did (a fellow Yamamoto pro-staffer as well) and decided to give it a try. I rigged a 5 inch Senko on a 1/4 oz gamakatsu football head jig, hook exposed. Mac, Mini and Neeley don't have a problem just putting on a heavier tube weight but I am weight adverse and my gear is not set up for heavy weight fishing. It was a huge success because not only did the senko get to the bottom, the football head jig actually "walked" side to side as it was dragged along the bottom. It does foul up a little because of the exposed hook but overall it SLAYED them. Carlos and I went through 15 bags of senkos in 1 day. Last year I used the same setup on braid to bed fish (after a harsh scolding from Mac and losing probably my biggest smallie ever). I can just take credit for naming it and Mini actually called me from a show he and Mac were doing with Judy and he told her about the Wong Rig and she got a kick out of it. Mac and I also showed it to Kim Stricker who was filming a show on St Clair and I cant put his response on here!!:lol:

TOXIC

I'll guarantee you a couple days on the water... I know John would love to get back out with you on board. He thinks a small piece of your liver is still somewhere in his boat!

Great, somebody has to protect you from irate dock owners and collect your fees for truckside medical services.:p:lol::lol:

TOXIC

Tox - I was heading home from FL when you were heading home to FL! :lol: After Disney, I redeemed a kitchen pass to Suwanee River/Bienville and came back home Thursday. Holler when we can be at the same place and same time! :D

You know I will!! My boat is sitting on the property right now. Problem is that my landlord is having a hard time finding someone to work on the lift. He even went out and bought the motor but needs someone to install it and string new cable. As soon as that's done I will be in business!! I sure do not want to have to trailer my boat in and out of here considering the PITA it was on the last go around. Big thanks to Carlos for a new finder and now I have one on the way from feely Neeley as well.

TOXIC

Back