Toxic...Ford Explorer for towing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
Toxic,

i was reading below that you pulled your 929 with an Explorer. Is a new one or and older model? My mom is looking at some new SUVs and she likes the Exporers, only problem I had a 1997 for my first car (I am 17)we would try pulling my old 84 Ranger down the road the trailer would sway. Did you have that problem? I finally sold it to my English/lit. teacher and bought a Chevy 2500. I never had a chance to hook my Nitro up to it because I sold it about 2 weeks before I bought the boat.

BJ

I am not "toxic" but I must have failed the class? Pulled an 84 Ranger Boat or truck? You bought a Chevy 2500 but did not get to tow what Nitro?

The vehicle is not at fault for trailer sway.

Either the trailer was loaded incorrectly, the tires were way off, or something to that affect. Speed can also affect swaying.

I think (which is a dangerous thing) that too much tounge wieght can cause swaying more than anything. I suppose that if the Explorer could not handle the wieght of the first boat, that could contribute to the issue.

BJ, the new Explorer has very little in common with the previous generation Explorer. Entirely new chasis, different wheelbase, and radical differences in the rear suspension. Trying to figure out the towing performance of the new model based on the 1997 model has no value.

Everybody is right....The new Explorers are much different (greater tow capicity). Trailer sway usually is a problem with the trailer not the tow vehicle. It just so happens I tow with a 97 Explorer. I have the tow pkg. (tranny cooler, class 3 hitch, heaver suspension, etc.) and tow long distances. I also have the 305 V8. Think of it this way...your tow vehicles job is to pull and to stop your trailer only. Considerations have to be given for trailer weight and length. That being said, the Explorer is maxed out with the 929. The surge brakes on the trailer are what allow me to tow with it. Without those I would not attempt it. The hitch makes a difference also. good hitches distribute the tounge weight properly. Do not use the bumper mount period. Also make sure the trailer is as level as possible. Your tires (both trailer and tow vehicle) also need to be in good shape and at the right pressure. I had a car tire on the trailer at one time (I didn't put it on!!) and it wanted to wander. The thing to remember is that when you get to the top end of a vehicle's tow range, ALL of your equipment better be in tip top shape and operating correctly or you can have problems.

TOXIC

The tow vehicle can and does affect trailer sway. However, it is usually how the trailer is loaded be it a boat or utility trailer. It is very speed dependent. Anti-sway bars rigged to the proper hitch can also help.

Excerpts from the attached link:

There are several causes of sway. For the tow vehicle...

1) Wheelbase is too short

2) Rear overhang is too long

3) Rear suspension is too soft

4) Rear-end weight is too much

5) Rear cornering stiffness is too low

For the trailer...

1) Tongue weight is too little OR too much

2) Center of gravity is too high

3) Tongue length is too short

4) Trailer frame is too flexible

5) Trailer suspension is too soft

Bear in mind also, that the wrong tires and/or improper inflation thereof may be critical factors. Be sure the load rating of your tires is correct for your application and that all the tires are properly inflated. And, one other thing...NEVER mix bias-ply and radial tires on the same vehicle. Their characteristics are much too different and will adversely affect the handling of the trailer or tow vehicle.

http://www.rvsafety.com/towsafe.htm

Good info David but remember, a boat , although on a trailer is not comparable to a RV (your attached article). RV's are much different with top weight (roll), toungue weight, wind resistance, loading factors (high shelves, etc.). Boats are more straight forward. "usually" it is a trailer problem but some of the other factors you give should also be considered. Good info.

TOXIC

Thanks Toxic,

When I pull my utility trailer with the van vs the subaru, there is a marked difference in how it tracs behind me. Sway is usually much worse with the subaru. The boat would make a difference depending on whether the tank was full or not. Just a little change is sometimes enough to make a big difference. I finally ended up adjusting the resting location of the boat on the trailer to fix most of my loading problems.

david....

A friend of mine has a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, top model I think. We have taken this truck to the cabin a few times to haul things and I drove separate with the boat. If we put a ball directly on the bumper, could we pull my Nitro 185 with it on occasion?

i have owned multiple ford explorers, the bumper is retaed at 300lbs tounge weight. Teri i would not pull your 185 with the bumper.

i currently own a 99 and a 2003 exploere xlt. both tow great. there is a great differance between the two vehicals. the 2003 is much nicer in ride and room inside.

BJ, she should have no problem towing with the explorer. just put the class 3 hitch don't cheep out and use the bumper or the class 1 hitch.

good luck

Thanks, I had a V6 and a standard transmission. The standard trans. was a pain trying to get off some boat ramps.

The boat had no problem behind my new truck, I figured it was wheel base.

Bumper hitches for anything larger than a lawn cart are a no-no in my book!! Maybe, just maybe some of the smaller tin boats could get bumper towed but nothing glass unless it is a canoe!!

TOXIC

I dont understand the fear of bumper hitches. Granted most bumpers today have less metal than a soda can, but even with a tow bar the weight of the tongue is still behind the back tires. If you have a quality bumper made of actual steel, I don't think you would ever have a problem. Just think of all the towing done before tow bars were invented.

As far as BJ's question a tow bar is much better than the factory bumper, and does not affect the appearance of the vehicle. Just be sure you do as suggested earlier and beef-up the other components needed to tow especially the brakes.

I used to tow my tin Super-Guide V-16 on the bumper of my Dakota until one day I noticed at take off and stops it was acting funny. I got out to find the ball had ripped right out of the bumber but was just in there like a pin. One more take off and the only thing keeping the boat on would have been the chains. Since then I have never towed on the bumper again, ESPECIALLY something heavier like a glass boat.

Bumper towing is not safe. It does not spread the load weight out nor give the stability. It doesn't allow you to make tight turns (it's gonna chew up your bumper). It doesn't allow you to adjust the height of the ball to maintain proper leveling and most importantly, even if the bumper is rated for XXX pounds, the hardware for holding that bumper on usually is not. The Class 2 hitch on my little Wrangler came with grade 5 bolts. No vehicle maker uses grade 5 that I am aware of. I didn't spend $30,000 for a boat and then scrimp on a $250.00 hitch. Better safe than sorry. Like I said though, some of the lighter tin boats can probably get away with it.

TOXIC

I have a02 explorer sport 4.0 v-6 and a 18' nitro and it tows fine same with my sport track both explorer's do a fine job no It ain't got a hemi cours on the other hand don't need one

Teri, while the bumper on the Sport Trac (2001 by the way...they were introduced in March 2000 as a 2001 model) can handle up to a 3500 pound tow load, it's not worth it. The plastic trim will get marred up. Ford makes a great hitch for that vehicle that's only about $150 and a 1 hour install in the driveway. I have a Hidden Hitch on mine, about $120, also a one hour job with just two wrehces. See pic below.
http://www.mysporttrac.com
hitch3.jpg

Back