Tox - KB - Jim - Keelshield Q

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Guys, when Dan and I opened our Keelshield packages this weekend, we noticed the 2 Keelshields (one 5ft black the other 7ft black) had 2 completely different set of directions, including one having a Roller (5ft), and the other (7ft) having not only a squeegee instead of a roller but an "adhesive activator". The directions were spot on to the different contents, the 5ft didn't reference the squeegee or activator at all in the directions, and the 5ft came with a tube of 3m clear silicone sealant and the 7ft did not.

So I wonder if we either got 2 different years (since the directions were also signifigantly different, but basicaly similar), or is the 5ft and 7ft that different??.

So we installed them as each specific set of directions specified, and off we go!! Both Keelshields are black so on my black bottom Nitro you can't see it and on Dan's dark Blue bottom you can barely see it.

Any clue guys?

Since you've already put them on are you sure you really want an answer? :unsure:

Trep, honestly im not sure why they would be different. Were they different brands maybe? The Keelguard by megaware is similar to the Keelshield brand but the install method and tools could differ. Maybe Toxic can offer more insight since he has installed more of these then anyone here.

I do remember my Keelshield coming with a scothcbrite pad to scuff the hull, a package with the adheasive activator, rubber gloves and a roller to smooth it all out. The instructions were exactly as they are on the Keelshield website.

Trep

I would say that it is different manufacturing dates. I have installed with both types, the roller and the squeege, same lengths. The silicone is a bonus. The directions on the shield that came without it should state that it is recommended that you get it. I'll pose the question to the owners and let you know.

TOXIC

The one with the roller is an older product...

They stopped sending rollers out 2 years ago... I may be mistaken...

But i think i'm right... Don't we all!!!!

Tox will get the info from the factory!!

KB

Jim - They were both keelshield brand ordered the same day/time from BPS online. So we followed the directions seperately on each, and then we both used the roller (which broke after a short while) and the squeegee to ensure we had them both down tight, and there was more then enough silicone sealer for us to put a nice bead around all sides on both.

I'm taking the afternoon off to water test mine, and fish!!!

Trep

Thats kinda strange that they would differ so greatly.

I found the roller to be pretty useless on mine too. I think it broke after like 5 seconds when i did mine. Thankfully i had a professional grade wallpaper roller i used instead and it worked much better( read didnt break instantly) then the one in the box. I didnt get any silicone in the kit but i did put some on like the directions said to.

Its a good deal that you got them both done, now you can beach it without worry.

The newer packages have the activator. If you would have posed the question before the install I would have gotten one for you. It will be fine without, especially since you sealed it.

TOXIC

Back