Towing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris F.

Reaction score
Does any one here tow a 901 with a Toyota Tacoma 4X4? I need to know if it can tow without working too hard. I cfurrently have a 640.

I know a guy who used to tow his 901 with a Trailblazer (4.3ltr. 6 banger).

Craig

Transmission cooler, mandatory

Oil Cooler Mandatory.

Synthetic Trans fluid.

I tow a 911 with a Dodge Dakota, used to tow a 901... I have the V-8 in it however...I usually dont even know the boat is back there.

just check the towing capacity of the tacoma, should be ok.

Trailer brakes make a huge difference.

Mac tows his mess with the 6 banger and let me tell you IT PULLS!!! I had a hard time keeping up with him in my 3/4 ton HD Silverado!! Of course it's a GM product.....hehehehe.

TOXIC

Simnitro, excuse my lack of knowledge, but how do trailer brakes make a difference?

Chris, With a boat that heavy and a mid-sized tow vehicle, trailer brakes are all most a must. You would be surprized to see how much the trailer brakes help. I used to own a 19' Champion, it had trailer brakes. I towed with a 4wd f-150, extended cab with the towing package. One time, due to the trailers master cylender failing, I had to tow without the brakes for about a week. I could really tell when I went to stop. I could actually feel the boat/trailer trying to push the truck through the red light, stop sign, etc. It's also a lot easier on your vehicle's braking system. That's one option that I would get if I were you. Also, go with everything that pmgoffjr says, he knows his stuff.

I'd be suprised if they sell a 901 w/o brakes, but it would not be the first time.

Hey its gonna work it, i would not be too worried about it though. as long as it is a v-6

As Steve said...

It aint the pulling that will hurt the smaller truck, it'll be the stopping.

Even more so on wet roads.

Whithout the trailer brakes, I can remember several pucker moments... one time being pushed thru an 8-lane intersection against the lights due to a recent rainfall. Fortunately, the lights had just turned and nothing bad happened, but not a feeling you want to have.

I do think brakes on the 901 are standard.

I used to tow the 901 (and the TR-186 before it) with a Jeep Cherokee 4.0L-Six, it never even wimpered, but I didnt like the way the rear-end sat (just wasnt set up for the good weight distribution).

I towed a Ranger 175 VS with my 98 Taco V6 4 x 4 auto and it did it easily. I agree with having coolers, brakes, etc. V8 trucks are better suited for long hauls but the tacos can pull.

Da Bear

the toyota will pull the boat, it does not matter what engine it has in it, toyota rates there truck based on frame. which means they are rated the same (3500)the payload capisity is different and is based on frame capability, weight minus the options, the reg cab is rated the highest the x-cab is next and the double cab is last. as for the v-6 being the best engine, sorry. the 4 cyl is toyota's "work" engine. it has much stronger internals for towing and is geared better.

Thanks for all the info, most trips to the lake are 35-40 miles one way. It is good to know about the braking thing.

A 911cdc behind a Chevy v-6 SUCKED... heavier than the 901 obviously, but the Tacoma is a kinda small truck.

Back