towing vehicle

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olefisherman456

Reaction score
i lease my truck but i will probably downsize when the current lease expires. need to get something that the the wife will drive . still want an suv that will pull my boat.any ideas?

Don't forget batteries, outboard, and other on board items when calculating weight for towing. According to NADA, 950 lbs is correct for the boat. Outboard is 410. Lbs.

I'll tell you what. I was concerned about towing our (new to us) 2004 Nitro 188 Sport Fish & Ski with our 2013 Chevy equinox, especially being only front wheel drive and a 4 cyclinder. Boat ,Trailer, and motor Dry Weight comes in a little over 1800lbs. On the road tows like a champ. I was worried about pulling boat and trailer out of the lake at the inclined launch ramp. Worked fine , but the ramp was dry as no one had used the launch for about an hour.

Attachments

• 119038262_1845860342235645_3625831814149346932_o.jpg
    119038262_1845860342235645_3625831814149346932_o.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 16
My Z20 loaded easily pulls behind my Buick Enclave, the towing package is 5000lb, with over 300hp you rarely know the boat is back there. My Enclave is a 2018
Also front wheel drive so getting those rear tires wet just doesn't happen.

I pull my boat with a 2021 Nissan Titan. You can't even tell the boat is back there. Aside from the diesel Ram I traded in, this is the best-pulling vehicle I've ever owned. My only complaint (which is very minor) is that you have to remember to turn off the back up sensor when backing down the ramp. Otherwise the truck thinks you're about to back into something and the brakes are automatically applied.

I pull my 1999 Tracker 175 (60 hp) with a 2013 Durango R/T, 5.7 l v8. It felt 'heavy' until I got the trailer wheels aligned -- camber and toe-in were way off. I think the boat/motor/trailer combine for about 2000 lbs, Durango rated for ~7,000.

I was more concerned about braking than pulling, so I made sure it had the factory tow package.

Many folks use only the vehicles "Tow Capacity" when choosing a tow vehicle but fail to realize that the vehicles braking capacity is very important as well. For example a small SUV or pickup may have a 5000 lb tow capacity but will have a hard time braking with 4K behind it in an emergency situation. Yes, trailer brakes do help but not all trailer are equipped with them. Another thing to consider is a smaller vehicle with a 4 cyl or even a 6 banger may have that same 5K tow capacity but you have to consider if your towing long distances regularly or just short runs. Sure motors have had many advancements over the years but they still will not last when placing them under a heavy load for prolonged periods of time!!

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab Ecodiesel towing my 2022 19V Traga. Just ordered a 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee L with the tow group and a 3.6 V6. It has a 7500# tow rating so it should tow the boat without any issues.

We have a 2014 Dodge Durango Limited 3.6 with the tow package, it used to be our primary tow vehicle, until we purchased our 2020 F150. It pulled our boats on long distance trips with out any issues. It now has 101k on it and never had any maintenance issues. Pulls my ProGuide V16 quite well @75mph down the interstate. Every time I talk about trading it in for a new vehicle for my wife she throws a fit.

The Cherokee will be replacing a 21 XT4 Caddy. Will be keeping the Eco Diesel since Ram decided to stop building them after December. 🤬 Dumbest thing they have done since they stopped building the Viper.

Latest posts

Back