Towing PT175 with Jeep Wrangler

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
Is anyone on the board towing their PT175 with a Jeep Wrangler 2door that has the 4.0L Inline 6? I was looking at a 2006 Rubicon model and was curious. I know the I6 will handle it, but curious if anyone sees an issue with the vehicle handling it.

I have been towing my 02 PT175 with the wifes minivan, Dodge Grand Caravan with the V6. It is more noticeable back there than with my Expedition but still gets 18 MPG compared with 13.4.

Have also pulled it with my little Nissan 4 banger. Same thing. I would say that your Jeep would be all you need. Just remember your maintenance on Trans and rear and I think no worrys.

Bill Kyte

Waldorf, MD

I towed a PT-185 all over the place with my old Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 six. Never a problem until I traded the PT-185 for a 591. That was too much of a load for the Jeep GC...well that and the fact that the GC was getting close to 200,000 miles. I had to overhaul the transmission at 200k. I got rid of the Jeep for a Silverado about a year after that. It pulled the Tracker without complaint. I don't see why your Wrangler wouldn't do the same. The shorter wheelbase might make it a little squirrely in the wind. Keep up with your transmission fluid changes and if you don't have a tranny cooler get one.

Well, I have a 93 Wrangler that I towed a pop-up trailer with for many years that I'm sure was as heavy as your boat is (it was an old pop-up and I put a 2man pvc boat on top). It was no problem and I also have the 4.0. Just make sure you give yourself a little more stopping distance and be extra careful if/when the pavement is wet. If the jeep you are looking at has an automatic tranny get a cooler and if it is a manual (you couldn't get an auto in 93....ot it was a big $$ special order) make sure you adjust your shifting habits higher on the rpm side to keep from lugging the clutch assembly.

TOXIC

I pull my 700lx with a 2000 wrangler with a 4.0 5 speed.It is rated to tow 2000lbs and i'm sure the boats pretty close to that loaded.It has plenty of power to pull it but as already stated highway speeds + wind = white knuckle ride.The short wheelbase is really affected by boat on the highway but a real plus when backing down a tight ramp.If your looking at 06's might want to take a look at the unlimited model. It has a longer wheelbase and is also available in a rubicon package.

on steep ramps i used to have to go into 4 wheel drive low, and on rare occasions i had to have someone sit on the hood if the ramp was really steep.

mike c

I can't imagine the Jeep would have any trouble with a light one like that.

1600 lbs and im not sure thats with the engine, the jeep is only rated for 2000 lbs.

add gear gas and batteries, and its over 2 000 lbs. it will pull it, but there may be times it will require some extra thought to get it done safely.

mike c

p.s. then you have to stop it going down the raod, but that is a topic all to it self.

With the PT175 and the small engine you've got (25hp), you SHOULD be okay. Like folks have said, think about tranny/aux oil coolers and leave plenty of stopping distance. Its not the engine in the case of the Jeep, its the short wheelbase.

I towed a big old heavey 17'Bluefin with a 2000 4.0 and now tow my PT175 w/ my 2004 4.0. No problems w/power. I do keep it out of overdrive though. Biggest issue is stopping time. Be sure to give yourself enough room. The short wheelbase and weight of the jeep will make stopping a bit harder. It just makes you drive more cautious which is a good thing. Never had to put it in 4 wheel drive to pull out of the water but I do back down in neutral so as not to slide down the ramp backwards. Amazing what a difference it makes when you're not in gear. Have fun.

Todd

Latest posts

Back