Towing NX750 with Explorer or SportTrac

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al cannia

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone tows this rig with an Explorer or SportTrac?What insert do you use on your receiver, straight or 2" drop down ? There are quite a few models,some are short length, some are atleast 2' out from the bumper, what is best?

Take your trailer and level it with the jack...then measure what's going to be the ideal height for your trailer ball. Short length receivers are stronger..longer ones are mostly used for clearance problems or accessories. As far ast towing with Ford..sorry can't help(Chevy man:)

TEE

I have a 2002 F150 and tow my 750 right off the back bumper the height is perfect. And the bumper is rated for 5500 pounds, I think the explorer has the same rating, not sure about the Sportstrack.

Only thing...be careful if you mount it right on top of the bumper not to cut it too sharp and damage the bumper. Also a frame mount hitch will drop th receiver down below the bumper line to increase turning radius. I can cut mine beyond 90 degrees...comes in handy sometimes.

Pretty accepted good idea not to tow from your bumper regardless what it is rated for. Bumper ratings are misleading. The bumper may be rated for 5500 but are the bolts holding the bumper on? Too many horror stories about bumpers coming loose (LaMoy) and hitch balls bending and ripping out. Get a frame mounted hitch system. They distribute the weight of your toungue better, give you better control, stoping and turning radius as well as peace of mind. If you were towing a flat bottom john...then maybe but you invested a lot in your boat, don't scrimp on the hitch.

As for an explorer towing, go look in my library, I pull a 929 with mine and it does fine (until you get in the mountains, then it strains!!). V8, Tow package, tranney cooler, and offroad suspension help. BTW, I was born and raised in Omaha where you gonna fish with that new rig?

TOXIC

i tow my 882 with a 99 v6 explorer with no problem. i use a 2" drop and it is level with the the trailer.

note the bumper is not rated for 5500lbs. that is the tow rating for the vehical.

i believe the bumper is rated for 350lbs of tonge weight.

the 882 has a tounge weight of 750 lbs. put a class 3 hitch on and play it safe.

Greg,

The 882 has a tongue weight of 750#? That sounds too high.

david.....

i am checking on it, i am 95% sure that is what the dealer told me.

the fact that the wheels are set so far back on the trailer there is a lot of weight on the tounge.

Gregd

750# does sound really high. I would think more like 350 tops. Normally its 10% of the trailered weight. If it was truly 750# even my class 3 with a 500# max would have issues with my 882

Greg,

The class IV hitch on my Chevy truck with an 8600lb GVWR chassis is rated for 600lbs tongue weight for a regular drawbar hitch and 1500lbs with a weight distribution hitch. I think your dealer has his figures wrong. If he's right, my truck wouldn't be rated to tow your boat. So I doubt if an Explorer or SportTrac would be rated to tow it either.

Bob G.

I had an Explorer Sport v6 that I towed my 882 with. It did fine but on longer trips it got tired. The tounge weight on the 882 is right around 300lbs....don't ask but I have had to lift mine once.

I had to use a 2 inch rise hitch on mine.

-Corey

Back