Towing - Front Wheel Drive Why's & Why Not's?

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
I have seen, somewhere before, that a front wheel drive vehicle is NOT good for towing a boat. I have a few honey holes that don't have ramps. I don't dare try to put in with my F-150 but thought the wife's front wheel drive van would work fine as the front wheels would be on solid ground. I also thought to put a tow ball on the front of my truck but that seems like it would really be a hassle. Toxic, one of the places is a stones throw from where I took you last year. You'd love it.

Anyway, why not a front wheel drive tow vehicle?

Thanks, Bill

Tranny on front wheel drive is NOT the same as a truck or SUV for one thing. Another is most are sub-frame vehicles and shouldn't be used for towing:(

Worst reason.. weight on the back lifts pressure off front wheels, which reduces traction, which makes getting the boat up a ramp next to impossible. If you're talking about a LIGHT jon boat or something on a pretty level area, you should be okay. Otherwise, strap a wench on the front of that f-150 and find a nice tree nearby and wench the whole mess up :).

I have a 94 dodge mini van & tow my PT175/75hp merc all over the place no proplems at all. I may have to upgrade when I get a Triton 196 that should put some load on my van! The chevy is rear wheel drive.

Bill,

Why would you not want to launch your boat with your F-150?

Bob G.

My father in law used to tow his 17' Stratos with a Chevrolet Venture mini van with no problems at all. He lives in north Alabama, which is basically flat. The only reason that he up-graded to a Durango was that he bought a 23' Mako to haul to the coast.

Bob,

There are some ramps that are not in good enough condition or there is no ramp at all. They are gravely or have slippery algae and my F-150 , on more than a couple of occasions, played heck getting the boat out. We used to use my brother's Trail Blazer when we went to certain places but he sold the darn thing and boat a "car".:)

Bill

Bill,

Sounds like you have a 2 wheel drive truck with P rated tires. There are very few of those up here. The Auto-4WD feature on Chevy/GMC trucks is awesome.

Bob G.

Bill - You know I tow exclusively with the front drive minivan, your 17 is about the same weight as mine. I've had no problems, though I would be VERY cautious in a VERY steep and WET ramps especialy if the van does NOT have traction control. Just put it in Low and pull out slowly.

Trep

I fished a tournament up on Conowingo Dam - Dorsey Park ramp and saw a SUV w/ front wheel drive and it couldn't get up the ramp after the boat was on the trailer. There wasn't enough traction for the front wheels to pull the boat out of the water. It took 4 or 5 men to help push the boat & suv up and out of the water.

Bill -

Does your F-150 have an "open" differential? That is what comes standard on most vehicles. It only sends power to one rear wheel at a time - and the one with the LEAST traction at that.

You might want to consider replacing it with:

A Limited Slip differential. It sends power to the wheel with the MOST traction.

A Positraction/Locking differential. It sends power to both rear wheels at all times.

It used to be that you could get this done for under $500. I have no idea what it would cost these days. Rather than your dealer, I would suggest checking with a four wheel drive specialty shop; installing items like this are commonplace for them.

For what it's worth..... Most 4WD vehicles come with both front and rear "open" differentials. So, if you have a positraction differential installed, you will have as much traction as just about all the 4WD vehicles at the ramp!

me!

Back