Tow Vehicle Advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Becker

Reaction score
I need some advice on a new vehicle. My lease on my '03 Dakota is running out and I am shopping around. I tow a Nitro 700 LX approx. weight around 2500 lbs. and a 16 ft. Lowe approx. weight 800 lbs. I am looking at a new Jeep Liberty with a 3.7 V6 in it. Tow rating is 3500 lbs. Good gas mileage when not towing. I have towed both of these boats with my previous Dakota with a 3.7 V6 with no issues. Deal on the Liberty is in my price range, just not sure if there are any known issues with the Jeep Libertys. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. Beck

I would not recommend the Jeep Liberty. My girlfriend has a 2006 with the 3.7 liter, good gas mileage but thats where it ends. Bought it brand new in 2005, nothing but trouble since then, and we hardly drive it! It's not very comfortable for starters, but since we have bought a long list of things have went wrong with it. Both U joints in the back have been replaced, passengers side seat belt assembly, air bag, along with he sensor, both brake rotors in the rear,blower motor for the Ac, a wire harness for the interior lights and an alternator. The thing is I have never towed my boat with this vechile and it has only 39,652 miles,on it. There just made really cheap! Our 2006 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 is really good, and it's not so bad on the gas really. No problems with this vechile at 18,467 miles so far. Hope this helps some how.

I'm sure you know that there is a little more to consider than just the vehicle and the trailered load. The road traveled must be considered above almost all else. If my memory of PA topography serves me correctly, you aren't going to pulling that trailer across terrain resembling the Bonneville Salt Flats, but rather something with a bit more character. I believe you would find that the trailered load would be wanting to go downhill almost as ferociously as you are trying to get that Liberty uphill. That assessment considers that the Liberty is in A-1 operating condition. Pulling trailered load is one of the areas where overkill is better; at a minimum you want a vehicle that will easily overpower the load in all situations. Look for something bigger.

Get a truck...your mileage will actually be better than any V6 anyway;)

Beck - some good points made here about consideration of terrain. Given your location in southeastern PA, and depending on where you fish, you may be fine with the Liberty. I know a lot of folks will tell you that more capacity is better, which is generally true, but it sounds like you need a multipurpose vehicle with light towing being only one of the many uses planned.

As someone that tows with smaller capacity vehicles (Nissan Murano and Olds Silhouette minivan - both rated 3500lbs), I can tell you that properly equipped, such vehicles can haul fine up to the load limit. For example, I've had to tow the family's 19' deck boat from Maryland to central Virginia. The deck boat and trailer is over 3,000 pounds fully loaded, but both vehicles handled the load fine. I will add that the trailer has surge brakes, which I would want regardless of what Virginia law requires (in VA, trailers with loads over 3,000 pounds must be equipped with brakes). I've also towed my G3 bass boat (weight about 2,400 pounds on trailer) from Ohio to Virginia and up and down I-95 between Richmond and DC. Again, both vehicles do just fine. So unless you are towing long distances on a regular basis over very hilly terrain, a Liberty may work out fine. I will add that I'm not a fan of Chrysler vehicles, but that's more personal preference than anything else.

Most of my towing is close to home anymore. I have since found a Liberty with a towing package and rated for 5000 lbs towing capacity. I feel a little better about this deal. Thanks for all your input, it has all been taken into account. I still have not made a decision. Beck

This is out of left field a little, but they may have trouble dumping that truck right now. You might be able to "steal" your current leased truck if you like it.

We have a 2004 Liberty and so far(59000 miles) no problems at all. Get in the low 20's per gallon on the highway. Handles nie, fun to drive, not the most comfortable vechile on a long trip, but the 4wd has been great in the snow and when out in the woods camping.

We use my Dodge Ram for towing the boat, so I don't know how the Liberty would handle when towing.

Mike

I have a 4runner with a V6 and I get about 20 MPG with normal driving and about 16 MPG towing. The truck has tons of power 236 HP and I don't even realize that I am towing compared to my old tow vehicle .

X

Berry, I thought the same thing but it really is amazing how litle they will move on it. I even looked into buying a 2008 Dakota but the prices are way out of line. With the shape of the auto industry today, I really thought they would be willing to make a deal. I am not looking to steal something but fair is fair and they will not move on pricing. Tried several dealers in my area and the same thing across the board.

When you go to turn it in is when you will know what they will take. Nothing like seeing the back of a customer's neck. I'm betting they are only offering you the calculated residual value...so far.

I can get you an "Authorization Number" for any GM vehicle at EMPLOYEE COST (A "Colorado" would be fine based on your needs, or an Equinox) but you have to buy it by close of business THIS Thursday!! That only gives you 2 days to decide!! All I need from you is your Birthdate, ZipCode and an email addy to forward it to. I'll check back in the morning to see if you're interested...but you're gonna have to act fast!! Then again...saving a few grand on the spot is worth it, IMHO!!;) I've hooked 2 people up so far,...a 3rd is not a problem!!

Mac

i used an offer similar to mac to purchace my wife cadilliac (yeah im whipped...what about it!)

and it saved me a ton of money. and it had some added perks back home ;);)

mike c

Mac, Thank you very much for the offer. I found a truck that I think I will be very happy with. I appreciate your help. Beck

No problem Beck......if anybody else needs a vehicle today or tomorrow at employee cost,...let me know TODAY!! (This campaign is working great...sales are WAY UP for July after a dismal June!!)

Carry on,

Mac

Mac. I tow regularly with my colorado and am repeatedly amazed at how well that 5 cyl dohc will grunt, pulling my boat I still get over 20 mpg local. I gotta take exception with you on the Equinox though. the wife has a Pontiac Torrent (their version of the Equinox). It just doesnt cut the mustard for a regular towing vehicle. I would opt for the longer wheelbase, too. BTW new to this forum and wasting away my working hours reading and enjoying!

Got to add a thumbs down to the Liberty, not because of personal experience with that model, but because of downright poor quality control at DamChryco (now back to Chrysler). They design innovative vehicles, but their execution, particularly on parts quality and reliability, leaves a lot to be desired.

In my experience, with my own and friends/relatives Chrysler vehicles is parts that should last to 100,000 miles will break at 50,000 miles (post warranty). Master cylinders. Sway bar bushings and links. Electric motors (windows and doors). Low quality OEM battery. Balky stereo system electronics and components. With our own 2001 minivan, it's readily apparent that if they had spent another $100 on parts at build time, the five or six problems that the majority of the owners have with these vehicles wouldn't have happened until after 100,000 miles, instead of half that.

Every maker has ups and downs. My Ford truck has been close to mechanically perfect for eight years. The OEM battery lasted seven years. But the recent vintage Chryslers I know of first hand...different experience.

Back