Tournaments for Kids?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
Does anyone have information on fishing tournaments for kids? I'd love to find something for my 11-year old (who outfishes me on many occasions) to participate in. When I asked Kevin VanDam last spring how I could help advance my son in fishing, he said to get him into tournaments. Most of the tournaments I've seen advertised for kids have been geared towards beginners...Jake can already pilot the TV-18, drive it onto the trailer, run the trolling motor, use baitcasters with no backlashes (well, maybe just a few), and catch big bass (he fell just short of a six pounder last summer)! I will probably have to travel to find something for him based on the small population of my area...I'm about 45 minutes from both South Bend, IN and Kalamazoo, MI. I've inquired about tournaments with the NBAA, and plan to follow up with them at an upcoming event at D&R Sports in K-zoo...however, I'm thinking they may be gearing their events towards beginners...

Anyone have any info on tournaments for kids?

thanks,

az

Andy,

I know around here they have what they have a circuit called Like Father Like Son and I believe it is a national circuit with state and regionals like the big boys. It is a team set up with fathers and sons. You might check that out as a starter maybe?

Tim

Try abcbass.com

they have a jr. division

two districts in michigan

Some in indiana

Andy,

Contact the Michigan Chapter BASS Federation (MCBF). There are some youth clubs forming.

Also be aware that your son cannot legally drive your boat (if it is over 15 hp I think) in Michigan until he is 13 and has a boater safety cert.

Mini

Thanks Mini...

I'm with him in the boat at all times...except when we're loading...I thought the law was 12??? I had planned on enrolling him in the Coast Guard class this spring...

Does the MCBF have anything on this side of the State?

az

Andy,..the MBCF has clubs all over MI....and there are a bunch of'em on your side of town (the "other coast"...LOL)

Take Jake to a bunch of the fishing/sport shows this winter and talk to the various clubs that have booths there...they may have a youth group affiliated with them. Otherwise, just enter a few "Opens" with Jake and fish as a team...call yourselves "Team Fission"...ahahaha....any tournament experience is good.....especially when you're making an investment in Jake's future......he may not develop aspirations to be a full time Pro,...but he'll probably ALWAYS love to fish with you for the rest of his life,..and that's an investment worth making!!! Good Luck!

Mac
http://www.michiganbass.org

thanks Mac!

I'm pretty sure he's already hooked for life!

We've already been to Gander Mtn, D & R, and Lunkers this winter...LOL

Have you ever been to Lunkers? It's in Edwardsburg...

www.Lunkers.com

az
http://www.lunkers.com

Cool store. I did the show there last year for All Star. That bass braking through the wall is neat.

Mini

Mini-

Since you didn't mention it, are you not going to be there this year?

az

Back