TOURNAMENT SATURDAY-----NC

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob szymakowski

Reaction score
lake came up 5 inches...in 17 hrs...temp before rain 43-45..went from stain to blood red....snow coming on friday...........WHAT would you use?>?:eek:

Hard to say for those conditions. What lake? What kind of structure? Where is the water level in comparison to full pool?

If you have buck brush (like on Kerr), I'd start picking apart those submerged and/or semi submerged bushes with a Jig. Use something heavy enough to fall through the branches, and start in the dead center of the bush. The colder it is, the longer I'd leave it in place and just jiggle the rod tip from time to time. Painfully slow fishing. My favorite color for that kind of water is one I call "Fall" - I make it myself, but you can improvise. Mine has Black, Dark Green, Green Pumpkin, Burnt Orange, and a couple strands each of Dark Red and Chartruese. I normally put it on a 5/8 or 3/4 oz jig, and I stick one of two trailers on it - Either I thread a chunk of Berkely worm on it (for stink factor), followed by a Zoom Chunk, or I'll soak some Uncle Josh pork in scent the day prior to the tournament and stick that on there. I will stink it up some more with a bit of Smelly Jelly Craw right before I start pitching it into bushes.

I'd also break out a few suspending jerkbaits and make sure I had different size (lighter) line on a few reels. My best luck during late winter / early spring on a suspending jerkbait has been throwing a Rattlin' Rogue on 8lb test line. It was snowing on Kerr Reservoir, and I loaded the boat in the back of a shallower pocket banging it into the side of some standing timber back there. It was hitting the trees at about 3' below the surface or more in some places. I got hung up a lot, but I caught a bunch of fish too.

If they are still deeper, I'd try some crankbaits or dragging a Carolina Rigged lizard across deeper points. If they are hanging there suspended over the points or other structure, I'd break out a Little George or a jigging spoon (LG first) and let it flutter all the way down, and then pump the rod to make it rise and fall through the fish. I also like throwing blade baits (not spinner baits - real blade baits) through stuff like that too if they aren't too deep.

I'd also throw a Lipless Crankbait, as well as using a soft plastic swimbait. The LC, I'd vary my retrieves. The soft plastic swimbait - I'd crawl that sucker as slow as I could, but making sure it was still wiggling the tail a bit. I'd also try a cast, swim, kill it and let it flutter to the bottom, then hop it up and down a bit until you figure out what they like.

If all else fails, bring lots of coffee or hot chocolate, along with a pillow and a sleeping bag to set up on the front deck. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Just talked to a friend in NC (Charlotte) and he indicated they were predicting it to be around 12 degrees on Saturday.

I'd use the remote control and ESPN2!

Tex

First of all search for water that may be a couple degrees warmer,sometimes you will find this in the upper end of the lake or creeks, second search out some water that may not be as red as you described, maybe around runoffs or fresh creeks running in, third fish slow and take your time. A technique that has worked very well for me in very cold water is dragging a small tube 3.5" black with red flake in very stained or amber pepper in clear water. Fish the tube with as light a weight as you can get by with and always use alot of good crawfish scent, throw it out let it fall to the bottom and just let it lay there for about five seconds then give it very short drags, repeat untill your back in to the boat,sometimes you won't fill them bite you will just fill something spongie. This technique requires alot of patience but it will pay off on a really slow day with very cold water temperatures. Hope you the best, Steve

well...bright minds prevailed and tournament moved to Feb.....but I am going to copy/file advice...............thx best fishes bob

That would appear to be a smart move, you guys look to get hammered this weekend.

Stay warm.

HP

Latest posts

Back