TO Hydro Jack or not!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kish2

Reaction score
I am perplexed big time.

I ordered a 10" Hydro Jack Plate from Bobs Machine shop. I was just called and told there was a problem with my credit card. Somehow the expiration dates got transversed and they were unable to obtain authorization.

However, before the above phonecall took place I took my boat into a local Marine shop for some glass work and started talking to some of the mechanics there.

3 of 4 of them said "Not" to get a hyrdo jack plate that they were not worth the money and I would have more problems than what it was worth.

Any comments on this would be wonderful.

Thanks

Bill

Looking at a Detmar 8" setback or Bob's Machine Shop 10" setback.

I would like the ability to simply raise the motor for fishing shallow water.

Thoughts on the two brands and " setbacks?

Hey Bill, My last two boats have had a hyd. jack plate and I would not have another boat without one. I have a Bob's 10" on my '01 929 and have had no problems. I would suggest getting the guage for the dash, it makes raising and lowering to exact heights a snap and very covenient to use. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Pat Goff,

A little more info for you.

Bass Pro rigged his 929 based on Kish telling them he would be mostly fishing inland lakes and didn't care about top-end, just hole shot.

They mounted the motor as high as it will go...and it does have a GREAT hole-shot...but....out on the big water on 'Clair, with any types of waves, you can hardly keep the prop in the water unless it's trimmed almost all the way in.

I recommended the Bob's 10" also.

You will love it, so get it. Some people never move their plates, but the right height is not the same height in different conditions.

Not 100% accurate Ken.

I was asked what type of water I fished mostly and I told them In-Land Lakes. Nothing was ever discussed about hole shot's or high end speeds. If I would have been told the boat would Chine Walk like mad at high end I would have not opted for the height the motor was mounted at.

Bill

Sorry, Kish.

My mistake.

At the least, you need to get the motor down if you're not going to get a plate.

It does work great now for the smaller water where we can't go 70+ though, doesn't it?!? ;)

Yep it sure does.

I think I am going to go with a hydro jack plate.

I spoke with a alot of tournament fisherman and the review is a mixed bag. 50% say go with a bob's and the other half say a detmar.

Back