Tip of the spear

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Heintzman

Reaction score
Fished lake murray today, boated five, one decent 3lber. Wind was up around 20 or so, gusting to 30 and I was in my 170TF.........speared my first and second wave on the way in! All I could do is put my head down......ha ha ha! At least it cleaned the carpets:blink: Ya'll be safe out there, fishin' is crankin' up.

JP

I did that twice in my 640LX. Nothing like watching a foot deep wall of water headed your way rolling over the front deck.

As fun as it may be that is a dangerous time in a boat. No matter what make of boat it is.

While these boats are supposed to have full level floatation, dont let that lull you into thinking they will not sink. The parameters for passing the level floatiation test is in flat water....not rough water that you can spear waves in.

Make sure you have a working bilge pump (or two) with adequate capacity to get that boat emptied pronto!

You bet ya'....once your pump can't keep up (80% don't unless you have a second pump) your dead in the water!

Oh yeah, trust me, I sure wasn't trying to spear any waves, I was just trying to make it back to the house. I've got plenty of respect for the power of water, grew up in Oregon running whitewater (rafts and kayaks) on the Rogue and Deschutes and we lost several boats out of our group over the years. It did make me think of carrying an extra pump though!

JP

I dont think anyone TRIES to spear em....get that second pump!

Latest posts

Back