Throwable Type IV discussion (Virginia Law)

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
A few years back, VA passed one of the dumbest laws I've ever seen in regards to boating - requiring that all boaters keep the Type IV throwable life saving device on deck at all times (previously it was just "readily accessable" - meaning it should be kept at the top of a compartment, with nothing on top of it. As the law states now, it has to be out at all times - I've seen tons lost, stepped on, tripped over, etc... and God help you if you forget to put it out on deck - ticket time. Well, VDGIF (VA Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries) is getting their suggestions for regulation changes for the upcoming year. If you have an opinion on this "pain in the you know what" law - please go on their website and voice your opinion. The link is here (suggestions end June 15th - so get your voice in early):

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/regulations/comment/details.asp?id=129

All the best,

Glenn

Call me silly but we dont have that law in Ma but I do it anyway. Actually it saved my butt once. I slipped on a wet deck and my big buttt landed on it:D

Marty Klein,

I have a high tolerance for pain... but a very low tolerance for stupidity.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn - I am from Virginia (also) and I don't really have any issue with the throwable being on deck. I keep mine next to the console on my bass boat and on my seat of my pontoon. If it is kept in a locker, as most do, it is very easy to forget where you put it during an emergency. I don't find this law stupid at all in my opinion but to each his own. Personally, I would like to see the licensing of boaters over the next few years. On a busy day on the water I would feel more comfortable driving on the beltway that on the lake. Just because you can spend 40-80 thousand dollars on a boat doesn't make you a safe boater. Again, mt opinion!

Just wait to see what this stirs up! LOL :rolleyes::):D

Uncle Billy, You are correct. My Wife had to be there and she now calls it the APD (A$$ planting devise). All I can do is hang my head on that one:blink:

Everybody has to remember that some laws are written for "the lowest common denominator" meaning the idiots out there on the water. That makes for nusiance laws for those of us who are responsible boaters, but protects those that are single celled animals....which ends up protecting us also, in a roundabout way.

TOXIC

I'm with Bill in VA on this one. Doesn't seem too much of a hassle and most of the Game Wardens are pretty reasonable about defining "on the deck." Last year on Anna's cold side, VGDIF's finest did an inspection. I keep the throwable under the driver console of my PT175 propped up against the side. When they asked where it was, I pointed to it and then pulled it out from under. They thought that was a suitable location. On the new (to me) deck boat, I sit on it so that I can sit higher than the front fishing chairs! Another buddy of mine with a Nitro also puts his on his seat as a booster. So there appear to be lots of locations where "on the deck" qualifies.

BTW, I am definitely all for boat licensing - at the very least a mandatory boater safety course for everyone with heightened enforcement, especially of jet skiers!! The concept of jet skis is not necessary bad in and of itself, its the way they are ridden! Who knew that sitting on one would automatically turn off your brain?! :rolleyes:

Ahhhhhhhh the jet skis. Down here in Louisiana we have taken to calling them aquadic cock roaches. Those things are everywhere.

RW

Ahhhh... so sorry to have bothered all of you and taken so much of your valuable time. If you are happy with the law, I guess I'm the only one out there that sees this as stupid. I've had mine fly out of my boat on more than one occasion, and when the wind is whipping it around on the floor, even with my foot on it, it becomes more of a liability on deck, than if it were properly stowed, especially on areas like the Potomac, when the water gets rough and I'm concentrating with all my might on the waves. Sitting on it is dangerous, as it slides around my vinyl seats.

The issue of boaters safety courses have already been addressed in Virginia.

I'm all for licencing also. Way too many idiots out there in boats, and lately I've seen more morons in Bass Boats and cruisers than I have on Jet Skis.

Again, so sorry to have wasted your time reading this. But please don't start complaining to anyone when you lose yours overboard or wreck your boat when it comes flying up and causes you to lose control, or you get a ticket for having it "improperly stowed" according to some Game Warden having a bad day.

Glenn

Glenn I talked to a Game Warden last week about this and his answer was stow it when you are running and lay it on the deck when fishing. I tried to get a more defined answer and he just repeated him self. I know mine will fly out of the boat so I just stow it when I'm running.

Why is it all our laws have "grey" areas nowadays?:wacko:

Mine's in the very front compartment on top....never had an isuue yet in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee or Michigan:eek:

TRITON GLENN, i have sent my 02 to your link, thanx, I think its a stupid law as well, just my opinion, and I can see both sides on this issue, mine is always in the center compartment on top, and will stay there reguardless of the law, but yeah to me if its layin on my front deck, I get tired of it bein in the road and would end up puttin it away anyway.

For those of you who think boater licenses are good, not sure how yours work down there, but here in pa you have to have a license for jetskis, the funnything is, you can go online, and take the test in about 20 minutes, and get your license, which is by no means a good way of doing this, so I already see people who have their licenses, and can't drive a boat and don't know the common laws on the water:D

Glenn - Didn't mean to tick you off. It's your opinion and you asked for comments. I gave mine. It wasn't meant to be controversial. :)

Bill,

Sorry. Been a bit stressed lately - fighting quite a few issues within the VDGIF lately - mostly hunting stuff, but some fishing as well. I've never been one to be content with just accepting things the way they are, just "because". I've heard all the arguements on the issue, and not one of them makes any sense to me.

1) The time difference between getting my throwable cushion from the position it is in when I'm fishing (either on the seat, or under one of the two consoles to keep it out of the way) v/s where I used to stow it (front compartment, right under where I'm standing when I'm fishing) is a second or two - and I'm not really sure the current position is the quicker of the two, as I have to walk to the middle of the boat, get down into the sole, and reach under the console or on the seat for it - where before, I just reached down, opened the compartment, yanked it out - done.

2) The issue of it being "in the water" if I should get thrown overboard in a boat wreck doesn't wash either, because at the speeds most of us travel, that throw cushion won't be anywhere near the boat when everything comes to a stop.

3) As far as the law being written for the "lowest common denominator" - I understand what Scott is saying, but I've about had it with the "dumbing down" of society today. If we have to dumb things down that much, then those people shouldn't be driving boats.... or driving at all for that matter.

4) As for Game Wardens being reasonable about defining "on deck" - that's not always the case. That is my major gripe regarding this issue. One friend of mine has been checked several times - every time his is "readily accessable" ... in a compartment. And he gets let go without any question or lecture (older gentleman in an older boat). Now, the Game Warden who stopped me last drove over to me as I was coming off plane, right before a no-wake zone, and started the conversation with "Hey there Hot-Rod... how 'bout showing me your registration information?", and treated me like I was some snot-nosed kid... even though I'm 38 years old and about to retire from the military. The questioning continued "How fast does this thing run anyway?". I replied to his question with "70+". Then the "where is your Type IV?" As I start to pull it out of the front compartment, he is already shaking his head with this pissed off look on his face. He doesn't write me a ticket, but immediatly starts to chastise me on the importance of where it is SUPPOSED to be. I say "It won't stay on deck at 70+ mph". His response "Read what the regulation states. If you can't keep it on deck, then you don't need to be doing 70mph, now do you?". Like he was some jerk adult talking down to a small child that had just broke a window.

Now, I ask you - if you knew there was a HUGE grey area in this regulation, and you had been subjected to that, would you sit here with your mouth closed on this issue? Some can say yes. I can't. I have to call BS on this. It's a stupid law, and should be repealed. If you wish to keep yours on deck because you find it easier to get to, then that is fine. But we shouldn't have a law that it is mandatory, and then have the GW's interpret the law as they see fit, or in regards to the individual that they stopped.

You didn't tick me off Bill. I didn't care for Marty Klein's post - things that don't add any value to the post and only succeed in raising my blood pressure for no reason. But that is fine. There will come a day when he needs help. I 'll be the bigger man and actually help him with a smile on my face.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn:

I understand and appreciate where you are coming from. Seems to me that you got a warden with a chip on his shoulder for bass boaters. Sorry to hear. There will always be a few overzealous LEO's out there. With all due respect intended, perhaps the solution is re-education of the warden (or at least clarification of the requirements), but not necessarily repeal of the requirement?

Also, I agree that laws shouldn't have to address the lowest common denominator amongst the public, but unfortunately, there are truly foolish people out there. Just go out on Lake Anna (either side!) on a nice summer weekend day and its hard not too see at least half a dozen stupid moves by people on boats, jetskis or other watercraft. Its probably the reason why Virginia's 2007 General Assembly passed (and the Governor signed) a new law mandating boating safety courses for all boat operators in the Commonwealth. I just discovered this earlier tonight and thought it appropriate to pass along the link. Looks like folks have some time before it kicks in, and even then, its a phased approach, but maybe its a step in the right direction to reduce the craziness on the water we've all seen.

BTW, I would hazard a guess that most folks on this board have either taken a course or have enough drive time under their belts to pass the Virginia challenge exam.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating/education/faq.asp

Boy am i glad i'm way down here in Hooterville state (Louisiana). We don't seem to have the problems like that yet. Just my 02 worth but i have to agree with Glen...those throwables are more dangerous on deck than in a compartment. To keep them from flying around i would have to figure out a way to strap the thing down, which seems to defeat the purpose it seems. Here we don't even have to have it on top...just have it in the boat. Has never seemed to be an issue as i have never heard of anyone drowning for the lack of a throwable here. I am sure it started out as a good idea...but has transformed into a way to just make money for the wildlife dept. Always remember (again IMHO) u can't regulate stupid and some of these boaters are really stupid.

RW

Back