Thousand Islands NY

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Zechman

Reaction score
Anyone here fish this area? Its by far the best bass fishin system anywhere I've ever fished in the country.......anyway, I'm up there every year for 2 weeks in July and a week in September with the "boys"......for those of you that have never been there, its on the St. lawrence River about 30 miles from Lake Ontario, which I plan on hittin this year in the new boat......It gets very rough up there bein so close to the great lakes, I've been in some very hairy conditions in my 18 foot Champion, and even lost a depthfinder mounted on the fron from gettin pounded..........anyway, just a wonderfull place, and you can even see the bottom up to 25 feet, its that clear...........

Hi Mike

A friend of mine fished a tournament up there years ago and had a death defyign experience.

I own a 188 Sport and continually consider changing to a pure bass boat. Why did you change to a Fish n Ski?

Paul

I had my bassboat for 8 years and it was great, but I also have a wife who fishes, and now at 28 years old I have daughter, last year in Thousand Islands it was horrible having that Champ with 3 or 4 people in it all the time, I needed something I can fish with high end performance, but still have the family end as well, thats about it.......what happened to your friend? I know that place like the back of my hand, and know when to get out of the water, and when to seek shelter, but you shouldn't have any problems up there in a 188 Sport.......I will say this, I had a guy tell me on the dock one day that my Champ wouldn't be able to handle 4 foot waves, I just laughed at him, he was in a Musky style boat and would not go out because of the rough water, I saw him later, and he told me I was crazy.......I told him until you run a bassboat in rough water, you'll see its not bein crazy at all.............now that was a Champion, I'll find out how this 189 does next July, so what happened to your friend?

I don't recall all the details but they had launched out of the river and ventured out of the mouth to another sheltered area. In the meantime a microburst sparked up and the driver (my buddy was a non boater) decided he needed to make a dash for the weigh in so off into the big lake he went to try to get back into the river. He said all he could see in the troughs were walls of water. I don't recall much more detail than that.

You should come fish with me. I've lived around this area for 40 plus years give or take a few. I could show you places where you and the family can have ball fishing and never see another bass boat. I also know some great spots on both the river and the lake.:):)

Well bassinfool, like I sadi I'll be up there in July for 2 weeks, we'll have to hook up, I am always at Blanket shoals at 5 am in the morning fishing for deep smallies and top water on the rocks........:rolleyes:

I'll keep you in mind Mike. Take you around to some of the smaller lakes where the fishing

really good. Where do you usually stay when your up?;)

Familiar with most of them. Never fished blanket shoals. I usually fish in Chippewa Bay, Odgensburg , Morristown, Massena areas. I also fish BlackRiver, Chaumont, Three Mile Bay areas on Lake Ontario. Canada I fish Beverly and Charlston Lakes just across the border from Wesley Island. Smaller Lakes I fish Red Lake in Theresa, Butterfield Lake in Redwood, Black Lake and Pleasant Lake Town of Macomb, Cranberry Lake (Adirondacks), Oneida Lake, Champlain (North or South). :D:)

Only one I know off is the one at Odgensburg by the state launch next to where the Oswegatchie River runs in. Others I use to know are all weedy now.:(

Back