Third Annual Lake Anna Invitational

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hamilton

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

An email has been posted to those that I am aware have shown interest for our Invitational on the 3rd of December. I had to correct Toxic since he wanted to call it the Hamilton Memorial Get Together. I am not dead (yet). :wacko:

Get back to me if you have any questions or comments.

Weather will hold for us with a Sunny Day and high around fifty. Front will have passed through so I am hoping they will be biting.

We kinda had a pre-fish this past Friday (KB, Carlos, Toxic, Jim and others) and we seemed to be hitting them pretty well. Water temps in the mid sixties to mid seventies.

See ya all on the 3rd.

Bill in VA

I live in Woodbridge, wish I could join you, sounds like fun. Would like to meet you guys, unfortunately I'll be out of town on the 3rd. Maybe next time.

HP

HP - We do this a couple of times a year so keep reading the board and we can hook up.

Bill in VA

That does sound like fun. What do you have to do to get an invitation? I there any place I can go to read rules/requirements etc.? Thanks:huh:

Rules We don't have no stinkin Rules. Requirments show up and be ready to fish......

Uncle Billy you packed yet. I will be at your place in less than 109 hours... Stuck at work and bored can ya tell.

BF

Pete - No rules, just right! Long drive from Jersey but you are welcome to come on down. Got 8 boats and 13-14 people with a cook out afterwards. Let me know.

Thanks,

Bill in VA

if you dont mind me asking, when you prefished what color crankbait and spinnerbait were you throwing. i have never caught a fish either of those lures unless the spinnerbait was white and the crankbait was shad color. Also i am wondering at elk creek country store while waiting for our food we saw some pictures of huge rockfish that claimed they were caught on the hot side, have you caught any?

mike

Mike - Can't help you with the crankbait since I didn't catch any with that type of lure. Same for the spinnerbait, but if anyone else has had luck on the hot side please chime in.

Huge is a relative term on stripers. Yes, they are on the hot side, but not in the numbers as the cold side. Season for stripers is on the down side but a few are still caught trolling or using live bait.

The house is not far from Elk Creek so at least you have the general vicinity. Look forward to meeting you on Saturday.

Bill in VA

Bill and guys. Thanks for the come back. There is no way I can make this tournament but if you have one in the future I'd like to try to make it. I have a couple of guys in my club that might also be interested. We don't get to fish many big water lakes and would like to fish a tournament in a "friendly" environment. My big water experience has been in the Ever Start out of the back of the boat. Is this strickly a Nitro/Tracker deal? I have a Pro 17 but a couple of the guys have Rangers. I've hard a lot about Anna and would like to see. My girl friend had family in Bedford so I've been on Smith Mountain a few times. Thanks

Mike,

Used a shad colored suspending thin bodied Rapala with pauses on the retrieve and the white/chartruese spinnnerbait. Used Roboworms in ox blood color for the dropshot.

Pete, This is not a tournament of any kind. This is a fun for all get together on the Hot side of Lake Anna. Bill in Va host this gathering (THANK YOU) he lives in the only area of Lake Anna that has private access to both the hot and cold side. There may be some trash talking, there will be alot of bs and a good time for all. I will bring my Champion, Carlos will bring the Scales and Tales Ranger. This is nothing about what ya got or what ya got to prove. (My opinion only) This is about a small group of a larger group getting to do what we like to do FISH. Thank you Rich Stern for giveing us the chance to meet. Heck grab that glass eyed Trep and come meet us.

Night Night

BF

OK Guys - Saturday is fast approaching. Weather has turned on us as of this morning. Good news is the wind has died down to 6 mph out of the west from 16 mph. Bad news is the temp will only reach a high of 43 and a good chance for a wintry mix in the late morning or early afternoon.

Dress appropriately and make sure you have some rain / snow gear. I have two extra sets if anyone needs any.

Look forward to everyone showing up for our invitational.

:lol:

Brrrrrrr...."Fishins' the best when the winds from the west." I'll have to look at the labels to how waterproof my stuff is. I went to BPS yesterday to actually buy one of their Gore-Tex suits. There were a couple of them on sale, though still expensive. The first one I looked at was the BPS HPR-Gore-Tex suit and when I tried it on it just felt like junk, for $180.00.

Soooo, I then looked at the next one up. The XPS Stretch Gore-tex suit for $240.00. This one felt really good and had lots of extras, like hand warmer pockets and velcro everywhere to make the fit to your liking. I told Nancy that it was just too much money and she said, "if you want it, go ahead and get it." So I put it in my cart. On the way out I stopped to look at some of the Camo gear that was there. There looked to be some nice stuff for a lot less than $240.00. A salesman finally approached us and we started gabbing. He noticed the Gore-Tex suit I had in the cart and asked me about it. I said I needed some good rain gear and something to stay warm and that I had an event this Saturday and that was a good reason to go ahead and get it. He then told me that this gore-tex suit, unless I put on twenty layers under it, was NOT going to keep me warm.. What??? Well he said, if the temps were not extremely cold the goretex would be ok. Do I get cold easy he asked? Yesiree I responded and he said that suit was not for me. I always thought that Gore-Tex, with the proper layering under it, would keep me warm in any temperature. Anyway, I put the gore-tex back on the rack.:( I then picked up a camo parka and pant set for a lot less money but now I have to see how waterproof they are. (sigh) Nothing is ever easy.

Bill,

How about a Carhart suit, and a frog tog suit over that? much cheaper Warm & dry and no wind gets through the frog togs. Just a thought.

I'm sure you know how to dress, but being a little further north then you, I can suggest to dress in layers, not bulk. A good tight fitting set of long jons or even better is a ski suit underlayment. Followed by a couple more not to tight not to loose layers of clothing will keep you warm. Don't try to overstuff your feet into boots that make them fit too tight with thick socks , then your feet will freeze.

White knit gloves with red rubberized palms work great for fishing. There like a $1 a pair.

CJL

Hey Bill - what CJL said. In my other job, I work as a ski patroller at a local ski area so I have a bit of experience with keeping warm while being outside of long periods of time. The key to keeping warm is definitely layers. A good way to go that's also economical is as follows (from closest to skin out):

Usual skivvies

Long underwear

Long sleeve shirt and pants (preferably wool pants as they keep insulating, even when wet)

Extra shirt (something like flannel or chamois)

Fleece vest or lightly insulated vest

Fleece or wool jacket/coat

Goretex overpants and jacket

Neck warmer or balaclava

Wool socks

Wool or fleece hat

Glove liners

Gloves

Boots (preferably waterproof!).

I'm not saying the guy at BPS steered you wrong. He's right in that the uninsulated Goretex suit alone won't keep you warm. Its not meant to do that. Instead, it supposed to keep the wind and rain out. For insulation to keep warm, you'll want to layer underneath the suit as mentioned above. There are some insulated Goretex jackets and pants out there, but keep in mind those aren't nearly as versatile in that if you go the layers route, you can remove or add layers as necessary. With an all-in-one insulated set up, its either all on or all off.

BTW, 75% of your body heat is lost through the top of your head (really!). Having a warm wool or fleece hat makes a HUGE difference in keeping warm. The hood off a Gore-tex jacket will help keep the wind/rain off your hat.

Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday!

JC

Bill, I have a NY Giants GATOR if you want to borrow it, LOL, actually a gator is great, it's what the Football players wear, it's part scarf/face mask/ear muff/ hat. Try to get one of them.

OH and before I forget, going 20 mph in a bass boat when it's 30-40 degrees outside feels like 220 mph, have some sort of face & eye protection regardless how fast the boat is going to go, because it's very painful without protection in the cold.

More Crappy (Double Crappy) news today, wish I was going would be great to get away from it all.

Have fun Uncle Billy & all.

CJL

Uncle Billy - Likewise on the info on layering. Only way to go. If you get warm you can alway shed a layer or two. If all you have is insulated overalls and you get hot then the next underlayment isn't going to help keep you warm.

With respect to rain gear I swear by Frogg Toggs. Extremely light, not bulky at all and weighs less than a pound. Both pieces can fit in a gallon size baggie. I have a set and two other vinyl / rubberized two piece suits if you need on.

Gettin' closer

Uncle Billy - Latest weather has changed and they are NOT calling for the wintry mix so I think we can put the rain gear away. Still in the mid forties with winds out of the west at 6 mph. This is weather we can live with!

Yipppeeeee Bill..:D That Camo parka and pants I bought say Waterproof, Windproof, Breathable.. Well, we'll see won't we?:)

Jeeeeze with all them layers you aren't gonna ba able to move!!:lol::lol: Gore Tex IS one of the best insulators, I dunno wht that guy was talking about?:huh: The key is movement both ability to move and how much moving you are going to be doing. If you are moving around a lot, you can get away with less insulation. If I do my full cold weather gear and do anything but stand on the front of the boat, I will start sweating and that is not a good thing because if you sweat and then get cold, you will be cold to the bone!! I like fleece under something that stops the wind and longjohns (the good kind). That's all you need. Throw on 1 more layer (or just bring it with you) to be sure. Also, don't get overheated in the truck coming down, it'll just make it colder whern you get out. A lot of times I will ride with the window down then put it up and get warm right before I dress to fish.

TOXIC

I prefer my method of staying warm.....I don't go fishing in cold weather ;) :)

Tox - with all due respect, Gore-tex is not a good insulator. It works well at helping to keep you warm because of its windproof, waterproof, breathable design. By keeping the wind out, it reduces the chance of losing warmth next to the body. However, solely as an insulator, it is not that highly rated. However, this is a plus in that Gore-tex's versatility as a membrane allows it to be used in everything from from light shells to fully insulated parkas to gloves to boots.

In case you're wondering, here's the FAQ and response from the W.L. Gore site on Gore-tex's insulating properties:

Will a GORE-TEX

Waterwings - Cold weather at Lake Anna means having the hot side freeze over and that a'nt gonna happen so cold weather NEVER stops the fishin'. :):D:rolleyes::p

Hey Jim, I hate to admit it but this Gore-Tex thing still confuses me.:) I guess if you had a good Gore-Tex suit long enough you would be able to figure out just how to use it? Could you wear just that with some long-johns maybe? Or would you have to add another layer if it was a little colder? Maybe just over your regular clothes? The XPS Stretch and the 100 MPH suits at BPS looked and felt great but were so light that I had trouble believing they would keep me warm at all. Plus I already had a good rain suit though not Gore-Tex. So I bought a Redhead Camo Parka and pants suit. It was cheaper but is still supposed to be waterproof, windproof and breathable. I'll find out Saturday.:rolleyes:

Bill

Uncle Bill - sometimes I think WL Gore and Company surround this stuff with too much mumbo-jumbo! Simply put, Gore-tex fabric as simply a thin piece of synthetic material that has pores so small, it will allow water vapor to escape, but prevent water droplets from passing through. That's it.

Gore-tex was originally used in surgical applications but then something had the bright idea that it would work as a good material for jackets and other apparel. Gore-tex itself has to be sandwiched between other materials to make up for what it doesn't have (i.e., abrasion and tear resistance, insulating properties, etc.). If you keep in mind that Gore-tex is simply good for being waterproof, windprood and breathable, then you can use a suitably equipped jacket appropriately. I, myself, prefer Gore-tex shells (versus Gore-tex jackets with additional insulation). That let's me layer as appropriate. On warmer winter days, I may just wear my polypropylene shirt and the shell. On cooler winder days, I may add a fleece vest or jacket under the shell. In all those cases, the shell only works to repel water and wind while not letting me drown in my own sweat!

WL Gore Inc has, of course, since improved the original Gore-tex and develped additional synthetic materials such as Windstopper (particularly good at stopping wind, not particularly waterproof, but being incredibly thin) and Gore-tex XCR for extreme wet weather - i.e., soaking downpours or sitting in a boat with 5 foot waves! Gore-tex is not, however, the only fabric out there that has waterproof, windproof, breathable designs. There are others (e.g., the Redhead Camo Parka and pants suit you bought) and many of the manufacturers now entering the market are able to sell at lower prices that Gore-tex. Some would argue that Gore-tex is better, but I think a lot of that is brand loyalty and the fact that Gore-tex was the first fabric out there that really was waterproof, windproof and breathable.

Sounds like you got a great deal with your stuff and I'm sure it will be fine. Look for me tomorrow to be be layered up and barely moving around on the back of Bill in Va's boat. I was at Sports Authority last night picking up some more Senko's - although I doubt I'll keep up with the "pros"!!!

For everyone heading to Lake Anna, here are some layer tips that came from the Gore-tex website. Most of you know this stuff already, but thought it may help others:

Layering Approach

The key to staying comfortable in any situation is using clothing layers that can vary according to what you're doing outside or what the weather is like. The layering system is one of the most important pieces of outdoor equipment, but it's not always understood. Comfort is not a magic button that can be pressed by purchasing sophisticated outerwear. But by applying a little knowledge of layering systems, it is possible to achieve comfort in a wide range of conditions.

Typically, there are three layers in a weather-protective clothing system:

The Wicking Layer

The base layer, this should be worn closest to the skin. Its job is to wick moisture away from your body, minimizing wet conductive heat loss. An effective wicking layer should be breathable and non-absorbent. Synthetic fibers like polyester and polypropylene are good choices; natural fibers like cotton, wool, and silk are not, since they actually absorb and retain your body's moisture. They can become uncomfortable very quickly and then stay that way, since they dry very slowly.

The Insulating Layer

The insulating layer's prime function is to trap air, an extremely effective insulating barrier. Worn over the wicking layer, the insulating layer is often made up of synthetic fibers, since they retain their insulating abilities even when wet. They also wick better and dry faster than natural fibers, such as wool, and tend to be less bulky, allowing greater freedom of movement.

The Weather Protection Layer

You may know this layer as 'outerwear' or a 'shell.' It covers and protects all the other layers. If it's wet outdoors, this protective layer must be waterproof to ensure that moisture stays away from the layers beneath it, and it should also be windproof, to prevent convective heat loss. And finally, like all the layers in a clothing system, outerwear must be breathable, to allow your body's moisture vapor to pass through.

All three layers are important ingredients in the comfort control formula. However, they don't all have to be worn at the same time. Vary them according to the weather and your level of activity.

Do you all remember the movie that plays every Christmas about 40 million times called

"A Christmas Story"?.. Do you remember how the younger son was dressed to go outside by his Mom?. I have a feeling that's going to be me and Jim C. :lol:

Uncle Billy

Wait a minute, the younger kid (Randy) fell over on his back and couldn't get up because of all the clothes! Ralphie (the older one) had to help him up again! So who's Ralphie and who's Randy? :lol::lol::lol:

Have fun tomorrow guys!! Stay warm.

I am in the desert, it is in the low 60's and...raining right now!!!!!

Back