Thinking of trading bass for bay boat?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Fary

Reaction score
Went fishing with a buddy this past weekend at Nags Head, NC on the outer banks. We fished out of his boat in the sound and in the inlet for BIG stripers! We caught a few, but the experience was great. Was considering dumping my nx882 and getting a bay boat that I could use for both fresh water bass fishing as well as sound or ocean fishing. The wife/kids would enjoy the bay boat more because of it being easier to ski out of and swim out of. Just paid off my nx882, and not sure I want to get back into a boat payment. I truly love my 882, but not being able to put it in salt water is bugging me. Truthfully, I would only put a bay boat in salt water 3-5 times a year, but it would be in fresh water alot more.

Anyone interested in my nx882? It isn't officially up for sale yet, but at the rate I am going, it won't be long.

Bryan

Might be cheaper just to get a galvanized trailer. Running your boat in salt should be no problem. Dipping your tubular steel trailer in salt water will definetly cause you to buy a new trailer in a few years.

most days it isn't possible to fish a bass boat in the sound off the coast of NC. this weekend it was possible because it was so calm. as a rule, the water is too rough for a bass boat.

bryan

bass boat is officially listed in the swap and sell section.

Bryan, sorry your boat doesn't have dual consoles...we'd be talking!

I would like to hear about your bay boat search. I have been interested in them for a while. My big gripe has been that most don't have a decent rear deck. The Ranger 2180 has a great rear deck, but the 24K gold stringers they use make it too pricey (sorry, Mac, couldn't resist). :)

I hope you'll post some comments about your criteria, what you see, what you buy, etc.

No apologies necessary Rich,.. You get what you pay for!!

See the JD Power results on BassFan.....Ranger's #1 again for the 3rd straight year! Worth EVERY penny IMHO!! :eek:)
http://www.bassfan.com

You give up the ability to "plane out" nicely. One thing that weighs heavily against them here in Cedar Creek Lake where my 911 can barely get under the bridges at full pool. A center console simply wouldn't make it in any way, shape, or form.

I've fished from a few center consoles and to be honest, the decks aren't a huge concern. I felt very strange on the front casting decks. The bay boats seem to "roll" a little more than a bass boat. Maybe it's just the conditions I was fishing in.

Looked at your rig on the S&S. Nice!! One thing,...You better swing that front toungue wheel the other way when you hook her up. Cause one day when it comes unhooked when you are driving down the road, it will not shoot through your hull!!

TOXIC

rich,

right now i have somewhat narrowed down my bay boat selection to the key west 196 bay reef, and the sea pro 1900cc. both are excellent boats and have excellent resale value. new they are in the same price range at around $23k for a base model. i am currently looking at a couple here in NC (one of each make) and they are both a year old with transferable warranties on the motor. I will have to sell my bass boat before i do anything of course. hopefully, there will still be some good used boats available when i do in fact sell mine.

just like my tracker that i sold earlier this year. my 882 won't last long as it is in perfect condition and has many extras! my predictioin is that the first person that looks at it will buy it.

thanks,

bryan

Bryan,I was just on Boston Whaler's website last night looking at bay boats.They sure would be nice for Lake Erie.The more I look,the more I like.

Steve

That didn't take you to say you might do it to your boat is officially posted. Good for you! You only live once! One of my dads ex-wifes had a place on the Outer Banks and I really regret not taking advantage of that before my dad messed up.

bass fishing is fun, especially when they are biting. but fishing the outer banks of NC is unmatched in my opinion. even if the fish aren't biting, just being out there in what is mostly an untapped area is awesome. the utter beauty of the whole area is unbelievable. usually the fish cooperate though so we don't have to sit around looking at the scenery very much.

bryan

Bryan

I have a triumph 190 Bay, I also have a Tracker Targa 18. I winter in florida and use the bay in the intercoastal and off shore can't beat it for rough water, Great on the big lake up here in New York. My Tracker is a great boat but comes in second to my bay.

If I lived in NC and had easy access to Big stripers then I'd get a bay boat in a NY second. When I lived in NH the best Striper run was in June. I usually only got a chance to hit the coast a few times per season so the bay boat wasn't justifiable. I had friends with bay boats and loved fishing out of them.

Back