Thinking about buying a Nitro

• Thread starter James Montgomery
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Montgomery

Reaction score
Looking at a 1998 Nitro Savage 884 with 150 Merc in what seems to be excellent condition. The owner has used it alot, but apparently took very good care of it - barely has a scratch on it. The top of the seats are a little faded so he must have left it uncovered at times, but other than that, no major signs of wear.

I'm wondering first of all if $8K is a fair price. I'm also wondering if there is anything I should specifically be looking for on this particular model. For example, it still has the original motor guide trolling motor. How long do these things last? It also has the smell of gas which seems to be permeating the storage areas. Is this normal? I realize the gas tank is also under the deck, just a little concerned about the gas smell.

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated as I'm thinking of putting in an offer today. Oh, also, how difficult/what size vehicle would I need to tow this boat? Could I get away with a small PU/SUV?

Thanks,

Jim

Offer him $6K,.....you're going to be putting a new TM on there soon and that'll cost you plenty! The gas smell could be a concern,...but likely just a loose clamp or an old cracked hose.....that's another replacement issue.

NADA shows a price band of $7300-$8300 for boat, motor, and trailer. He's asking high [of course], you should offer low [of course]. That said, the toughest nut to crack in this whole event is the big mo. If that baby goes south a little-repairs cost a lot. If that baby goes south a lot-a replacement 150 is very large amount. It's gut check time.

If this is the boat you want tender an offer pending a condition check out by a competent marine mechanic. It will be good peace of mind, that engine is 10 yrs old (not a death sentence but it ain't exactly new either). It could last 10 more years or a week, but if there are compression or carb problems, for a few dollars, you can avoid some pain. Also get the transom checked. One thing you really should consider is how much you plan to use this boat. If casual use, you won't mind the older 150. If you will use it a lot, with $4.00 gas you should be looking at an Opti Max, that will make a difference on operating cost and resale value.

Good Luck,

Quote: "That baby goes south a little-repairs cost a lot. That bay goes south a lot-a replacement 150 is very large amount. It's gut check time."

I was going to make the offer pending a water test and a compression test. I didn't realize these motors went south alot. I've been out of the outboard scene for at least a decade. What generally happens? Overheating? blowing pistons? Should pistons, rings, etc. be replaced at some point as a preventative measure? Back in the old days, Mercs were stone-cold dependable. You've got me a little worried now about this motor. You're right, replacement cost would be crazy.

I did not mean to imply they do; I was throwing out two possibilities to consider when buying something used. I should have used "if." Corrected.

I have a 97 savage 884 and 8k WOULD NOT buy it.It is one the best boats I have been in for the money.The ride is great and handles rough like it is nothing.But the 150 loves the gas.But they seem to hold up really well.Just a chance to brag a little on the ol gal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with KY Mike. I also have a 97 Savage 884 with the 150 on the back and it rides like a champ. Short enough for most garages and wide enough for plenty of room. I would have it all checked out though. Mine has always had that "Gas smell" through the compartments only when I had it outside in the Sun and while it was warm. Mine has always been garage kept so I always keep a compartment open so I never get that "Gas" smell. Look through the compartments for any type of rot especially if he had it stored outside. See if he will drain the lower unit in front of you so you can see if there are any moisture in it. If it comes out "Milky" in color, then there may be a prob down there which could mean "Big Money". The Trolling Motor will prob need to be replaced if he used it alot. Go with the Biggest one you can find for a 24 volt system that the Boat prob has. Prob need to replace the Batteries as well. Also, have the wheel bearings look into. Hope this "Long winded" reply helps. I love my Savage 884.

Max <><

Family Pics 059.jpg

Back