Think You've been in bad water?

• Thread starter Pat Goff [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/8609
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Goff

Reaction score
I've seen some huge waves when I worked offshore, but nothing like this...

Uhskipper.jpg

That's nasty but here is the reason that we did not go out on Erie while I was up in MI, this guy was on Erie with a drift sock out the rear and all it took was 2 over the rear to start a chain reaction that doomed them....1. water over transome, 2. batteries short out...no bilge no big motor, 3. 2 more wave over the transom and you are now level with the water!! Nope, not for me!!

PIC-1.jpg

Drift sock off the back in following heavy seas?

That's Darwin award material.

Looks like a Fisher Boat too......way too small for that lake in anything but flat calm weather!! Idiot!!

Interesting to see it didn't sink. Twice I've been 4 footers with my pt175...just got scared.

Its an Xpress boat I believe, it was posted on the BFHP a while back with a link to the story. This is what is known as "level floatation"!!! LOL

Yep, it's a tin rig and they spent like 5 hours in the drink. Good thing it was summer. At least he has his FrogToggs on!!LOL!!

TOXIC

1st picture,

Been there done that on a supply ship with the Navy on the tail end of a Hurricane. Not fun!!

That's not what sunk them....They had two socks out, one on the front and on the back(now that is dumb). Even I know better than that...A rogue wave can sink you quickly:(

And it's an Express boat....As far as floatation, I'm glad the Coast Guard has upped it:)

Luckily for them a freighter in the area picked them up...they eventually drifted into the shipping channel. That happpened two years ago at Erie.

My offer still stands.. give me a 911cdc and enough fuel and I'll either drive the boat to Europe or die trying.

This thread is a good reason for all of us to rethink our battery storage/placement. Fortunately, I have mine (house/starting) in a high and dry area and then in a box.

In addition, I have a small car starter battery in dry storage and a pair of high volume recirc pumps with aditional hose to turn them into auxillary bilge pumps...

Those precautions and some pre-sailing common sense... together with a very big deep V with a barricaded splashwell give me some sense of comfort..

Hey Fatrap, write up the Skipper...he speared that wave!!LOL!! And Greg, there ain't no dry storage when your rig is up to its gunnels in water!!LOL!! Grab the battery as it floats by.....You should have a 100% waterproof cell phone bag and a waterproof bag for flare gun and maybe the car starter. As far as I know, a submarine is the only vessel to waterproff its batts....

TOXIC

Something to really keep in the back of your mind if you do get into a tough situation like being swamped is..."Forget about material things and start chuckin' everything heavy out of the boat if it's rough"...that's exactly what those two guys did and they believe it saved them. If I remember right they also chuked the batteries.

Mac... The motor loks like a 150xr6. If so it's not a Marine Group product. Their not rated that high. I thought it looked like an Express or Triton.

Craig

Yeah,..seems the consensus says,.."Express"...LOL..I just thought it was an older Fisher SV-18GT...I looked at one of those back in '94 when I was first looking to get sponsored.

The dealer agreed to sponsor me but Fisher told him that he'd have to buy a full trailer load of boats before they'd ship just one up for me......so he said,.."No..I'm not going to buy a full load of boats...BUT,..I've got a Nitro 190DC here in my show room that you can use if you'd rather run glass with a 150 on it!"......after I picked myself up off the floor I agreed to his compromise!! That was the beginning of a 7yr relationship with Nitro!!...Unreal!!

Mac

Back