The ongoing Bunk Board Material debate

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Koepp

Reaction score
I just spent a little time in "search" re reading many of the great suggestions and comments on the subject of bunk boards. Before reading any of this, I was all set to just do the (apparently) dumb thing and use pressure treated lumber. Many warnings, and I intend to heed those warnings, but with a question and a suggestion:

Question? What do the trailer manufacturers use? I have not inspected a new trailer that I can be certain of the wood origin, but I have just this fall helped store three pontoons and all three had PT Plywood decking, with no apparent damage to the aluminum.

Suggestion: there was a comment made regarding some cedar boards that one member came across at no cost; respondees raved about the properties of the cedar but whined about the cost. I found lowes, here and others carry it for only a couple bucks more than standard building material (white pine). I think it will end up about $14 more for my refresh, a price I am willing to pay for such a PITA task, if using the cedar delays another refresh even one year more. You may have to hunt a bit.. at this time of year its not common stock, more in the spring when people are building decks and things.

My dad has a tracker, and when his bunks rotted away he installed Composite bunks, which work well for him, because the boat comes off and goes on much easier, they are not carpeted as the composite stuff tends to be very slippy. he loves it

PT wood or not PT wood? That is the question.... (I think it was originally posed by William Bunkspeare!? :lol:;):D )

All kidding aside, most (80%+ SWAG) mfr.'s use C & B grade pine 2X4's for the cost and overall durability. As long as they are covered properly with open bottom drainage, they are a good choice of material. Composite has been making inroads into bunk use, but make sure they are at minimum equal pound density strength rated. Most composite board readily available does not hold the similar strength of pine or equivalent wood used.

The biggest problem I've seen with bunk boards (factory and replacements) is in the details. i.e.: Standard instead of SS staples; when rusted they leave a myriad of pin pricks throughout the wood increasing rot and decay. Lag bolts sunk without a quality Marine RTV; again increasing rot and decay around the part that holds it on to the trailer. Countersunk holes without sealer then through bolted to bunks with standard nuts & bolts & washers instead of SS or at least galv.

Two things I look for are good board with as few knot holes as possible and a quality 24-36oz. Marine Grade carpet to cushion the hull. It's a job, that when done right, should last the life of trailer. Good luck!

William Bunkspeare.. thats a kneeslapper! I think he wrote his plays at "Avon on the Lake" probably fishing for UK panfish or something

A always coat my with a 50/50 mixture of polyurethene and mineral spirts. Then a coat of poly before carpeting them. I've only had to replace bunks once per boat I've owned.

fatrap

"Old" PT was not corrosive to aluminum.... The "new" is... That is why you see old PT around aluminum... We changed from a carvcinogen for people to one that is more harmful to aluminum but not to people. Apparently the "old" stuff was absorbed into the skin when the material ( backyard decks, I am sure ) came in contact with "wet and feet".:D

The old treatment was chromated copper arsenate(aka "CCA"). It was pretty toxic stuff in that it was known to leach small amounts of chromium and arsenic. How available that was for uptake by people exposed to it remains a matter of controversy, but since it was used in playgrounds and the potential for exposure to kids was unquestioned, the stuff eventually got banned for residential use by EPA. Instead, we have an array of alternatives now that are not nearly as effective, but less toxic (theoretically). Apparently, the "new" mixture is what is incompatible with aluminum. CCA is still in use, but mostly for industrial application under "restricted use" classification (think railroad ties, telephone poles, etc.).

It was pretty toxic stuff

Jim, I don't understand? Did you mean Toxic was pretty or just throwing around bad stuff??

Uncle Billy

PS: Oh, by the way..
I think it was originally posed by William Bunkspeare!?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks guys, did you ever have one of those days when you could use a laugh and it picked you right up. Well this was one of them. To be or not to be for Toxic and may Bunkspere live forever.

Let me just say....My stuff ain't pretty.

Ask Mac BWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....The image of that KeelShield install is a scorch on his brain!!:lol::lol::lol:

TOXIC

Thanks tox!!:angry: I HAD managed to completely forget about that...until NOW!!!:(

Latest posts

Back