The Fortune Cookie

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewey Storie

Reaction score
The other day I went to lunch with my boss and a co-worker, I picked china buffet.

This is the fortune cookie I got.

"No one would remember the Good Samaritan if he only had good intentions"

As Paul Harvey would say and here is the rest of the story

Sitting at the next table there were 7 of Army Airborne, and I sat down to eat, think are they just coming home or getting ready to go. I got up to get to get another plate and stopped the waitress and said I want to pay for the Airborne group's lunch. Not tell my group what I did. Well when it came time for our bill I lost the coin toss for lunch, so lunch was on me. The bill came to $65.00 for the airborne and us. My boss has not been to place before and about had cow, I then told him and my co-worker what I had done, and they felt guilty.

The Airborne group didn't know who had paid for there lunch, and I was hoping to get out with a clean get away, the waitress ratted me out. The group came out to parking lot to thank me.

I told them nope THANK YOU!

I would have been fine had I got away with out them knowing who picked up the tab for a simple lunch. I just wanted a group of our Men and Woman in uniform to know I am thankful for what they do. And then came the fortune cookie, that was strange!

Dewey,

Thank you for "getting it"... That was more than a gesture, it was a very profound statement to those troops that there are lots of folks here at home who appreciate the sacrifices and effort they make to keep us safe. I salute you.:)

I've had a similar opportunity at the Airport(s) lately when I travel. Like you, I tried to do it and remain anonymous, but as you experienced - the waiter(s) pointed me out. I thanked them for their service, and told them to come back safe, from wherever they were going.

It doesn't take looking at a group like that, to know that most of the moral fibre in this country is in very good hands. Too bad, some of the wierdo's and trash talkers, get SO MUCH PRESS, and our troops get very little (positive press that is).

I did get the chance about 4-5 months ago to do the same for three firefighters at an IHOP. The manager and staff kept it quiet, and the firefighters simply got a 'thank you'. The looks on their faces, was well worth the cost of the meal.

Tex

Thanks to Dewey and Texas for doing something I wish more people would. I have not had the chance to but a meal or anything like that but I do try to say Thank You to every soldier I meet.

Uncle Billy

What a great thing to do. People do care about our troops. What you did was priceless to them.

Last Tuesday my wife's Uncle Vince was layed to rest. He was eighty nine years old. He was buried in his Chief Petty Officer's uniform that he wore in WWII. When his grandson took the uniform to the cleaners and told them to clean it the best they could because he was to be buried in it. The uniform was smelly and had mold on it. When the uniform came back it was perfect. They didn't charge a thing. Free!

I requested that the hymn "Eternal Father" (the Navy Hymn) be played at the funeral. The music had already been chosen and prepared. Somehow they found it and put it in the service.

Dewy please continue to care and be proud of it.

nuff said

fatrap

Back