Thanks Mac...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
When I read your post this morning telling Marke to go crappie fishing, it got me thinking (and that's dangerous). Even though Teddy has my big boat, the little pvc 2-man was tucked under my deck and I thought...man, I haven't harvested any crappie yet this year. My crappie lake is a little 225 acre electric motor only impoundment on which I have 3 or 4 good crappie holes. Soooooo, I yanked out the boat (luckily, my crappie rods were in the garage) put my daughter's PFD (mine are all in the big boat) in the jeep (and prayed I didn't get checked LOL) and popped into wally-world to pick up a few plastics to throw at them. Got to the lake and discovered that it was in the middle of a pretty good algae bloom, or they just fertilized it, one of the two. Thought oh well, got my cigars and nuthin but time so I launched and headed out to see what I could do. MAN IS CRAPPIE FISHING FUN!!! I was on em' all day (noon till about 4). Even hooked up about a 4lb bass on 4lb test, LOL. I had to fight him for about 5 min. Filled a 32 gallon cooler with slabs, came home and cleaned them and put them in the fridge for supper tomorrow (even gave my neighbor a few AFTER I cleaned them, am I a pal or what?!?). Ahhhhhhh life is good!! And to think, I was gonna veg in front of the tube today!! Instead got out in 75 degree sunny weather and had a blast.

TOXIC

Mac,

We did go Crappie fishing. We didn't leave until 10am.

Tox,

As a bonus prize for winning the tournament, Mini took us to his prize Crappie hole on St. Clair. We also fished from 12 to 5 and absolutely slayed'em. We had 15 Crappie from 9 to 14 inches and 21 monster blue gills. Craig and I cleaned filleted them while Jill and Kathy cooked them up.

So that makes 3 great days on St. Clair in a row. What a weekend!!!!

Thanks Mini!!
St Clair Crappie.jpg

I'm ready to go now!!! Had a major project to finish for AP so I worked on that for about 8hrs on sunday,..got it done and it turned out GREAT!! LOL..They'll love it!! Ready to fish now though!! Bring'em on!!

Mac

I'm glad you're ready. Mini wants to go today too. He wants more Crappie for Camp Neeley.

Our crappie are still in summer mode. They are holding in holes or on deep drops. Those I cleaned weren't anywhere near their fall spawn yet (female egg sacs very underdeveloped). Looks like they were beginning to put on the feed bag though, they were all chuncky. Best thing....I found my neighbors "secret" crappie hole. I've been half-@ss hunting for it for 2 years. These crappie are veeeery concentrated and don't move a lot so if you miss the spot by just a few feet you are off them.

TOXIC

Nice crappie!! I have never even caught one yet!

Bob G.

That's the bummer about Champlain, crappie are in short supply and when you do find them, they're just not that big. Don't know why. We do have slab perch and sunnies though. I've never had crappie so I'd like to find a good size school of them someday! Might have to come to mighty Michigan to get 'em though! LOL

They get bigger than that....I have caught them as big as 17 inches. Maybe you will have to get me out there to find em for you! LOL

Mini

Until you can beat my 16.5" 2.5lbr,...I AM THE KING!!!! LOL

That was a Cass Lk. SuperToad!!!!

Mini, there are guys on Champlain that make a living pan fishing and THEY can't find them. I hear the south end of the lake is better, I might have to take a trip down come spring and leave the bass alone for once. Walleye is also supposed to be better down there. Both crappie and eyes have died off up north. Biggest crappie I ever saw come out of Champlain was caught by my buddy Jamey when we were flippin jigs for LM, but it was still only 1 1/4 lbs max. I thought that was big!

Not to rain on your parade guys, 'cause those are certaintly some nice fish, but, on the lake I live at in CT, average size is 12 to 14". Each spring and fall we get them to 18", 2lb 14 oz. Thems are some slab crappie!

Those are goood one's Jon!! Sounds like a road trip is in order for the Mini-man and me....we loooove to crappie fish!! Goin' this weekend if we can't get to the smallies!

Either way,..I'm gonna rip somethings lips off!! LOL!!

Back