Tell me about the 911 you own

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a 99 911 CDC with a 225 Merc EFI and a 24 pitch prop.....Major, Major, Major slug out of the hole....I mean absolutely pathetic. We tried re-proping it, new plugs, ect....The best thing we have found to do (and it didnt even help that much) Is take the plugs out of the prop.

As for fishability...absolutely love it. HUGE deck.....We can easaly fit 3 people on our front deck and play a game of basketball at the same time.....It is very sturdy in the water...we have never spiked the front end in a wave while fishing and here in the Great Lakes....theres some big boats that come through here....

On a scale of 1-10....I give it a 7....performance wise it sucks....fishability great....

T.S.

travis,

what prop are you running? Trophy or Tempest?

I have a 2001 w/250XB... 25p Tempest (at the moment) and was running a 25p trophy...

No problem at all getting her up and going.. top end around 70 so far. the tempest is a little slower getting up than the trophy, but I only have one plug out at the moment.

My only complaint is the front livewell... otherwise this is the best platform i've been on yet... more than enough room, stable and fast.

running a 24 trophy...all plugs out top end max for us is about 65-70...maybe 75 downhill with a tailwind.....:D...just kidding abotu the 75 part...LOL

T.S.

I've always heard taht "all plugs out" was not a good thing... what is your engine height?

The only time I've had an issue with hole shot is when the front livewell was full of water...

I know you said you've been thru all kinds of setups...Hiopefully Pat G. Can chime in....

(and I'm not trying to sound like an expert... Pat dialed in my boat before I picked her up.)

I run a 25p trophy on my 2001 911 225 Optimax, good holeshot with my trophy. 10 inch Detwiler hydro plate I achieve 67-68 3/4+ tank of gas, and empty livewells with all my gear. Currently bumping the rev limiter on the trophy, but plan to get the prop reworked. When i fill up those livewells, holeshot and top end take a dive.

Great fishing platform and has a good ride. Storage, more than enough to cause poor holeshot and disapointing top end. The ability to get to any area on the side of your boat is nice when fishing with others.

I do have the 36v MG TE 109 and would highly suggest that upgrade. Can't imagine the standard MG 67 doing very well on this boat.

I will definetly consider another 911.

Travis do you have the vent system installed on the transom?

The factory installed pad reliefs didn't start until the 2000 models. (Mid 2000 if I remember right.) If your 911/929 doesn't have one, I highly recomend having one installed by a quality glass shop. Your hole shot will be a night and day difference than before. IMHO

I did the pad relief and it didn't help all that much.

The 911 is quirky with the little hump in the floor on the side of the console. Having to walk around the console to get to the deck on rough water is not as easy as one might think. The front deck is super-huge. The rear storage is quite nice too.

It won't win any races, and the only downside to the size of the boat is when fishing around docks... it's a lot of boat to maneuver between docks at times.

It's a pain to tow if you live by your rear-view mirror. The two consoles block your vision and the outboard kills the spot in between. Get used to using side mirrors for everything. And it's a heavy boat so you'll need a big v-8 IMHO. The v-6 I had didn't cut it. I never tried the 4.8L v-8, and went straight to the 5.3L v-8.

I had a vent kit on my 00 911 from the factory, we put one on the 99 per factory instructions and it helped tremendously.

I still wish I had the 01 911.....best big water boat I fished out of.

Mini

Yes we have the vent kit installed. The guy we bought it from, Jim Rice, had it installed as soon as he got it from the factory. I couldnt tell ya if it helped or not because I never rode in the boat before it was installed. Im not too sure of our motor height right now because my dad just changed the water pump impellar and had the motor height lowered to fill it up with lube. We have yet to find the magic height for it either What are you guys running for height on your motors?

T.S.

I know the boat (and Jim)....

I no longer have my 911, do you have the manual plate from the factory?

Travis, put my Biscuit - Eating (trademarked by Pat Goff) rear end in the front of the boat and it'll plane right out :)

We have an aftermarket hydraulic plate that was on there when we bought it. Its called the Bass Jack I think. If nothing else its a nice jackplate....:D

Mike....it would take about 4 guys over 200 lbs to get our boat on plane in any amount of time.....I think we need a bigger motor...thats all. I mean bigger is better right???

T.S.

FYI I ran a Tempest 23 with 2 out and one in. Holeshot was sufficient. I would play with the engine height too since you have a hydraulic.

Another note. A few years ago I drove a 929 with a hydraulic and you had to lift it all the way up and ease it down while it was coming on plane to get a good hole shot. You may want to try that with yours.

Mini

Pat, a Champ and a Cat are WAY different boats than a 911 (which you know). Are you suggesting that big heavy bote of a boat try a prop that works well on those lighter rigs?

OK, I know this kind of old stuff, but I've been a 911 Nitro owner since 1999. I have a couple of questions about this topic ...

1) Please define a vent kit;

2) What exactly is a pad relief?

I bought my 911 in 1999 new with a 255 EFI Mercury (BLA) and re-propped it with an after market over 27 pitch prop. Although not fast out of the hole, certainly not awful. Top end - 70's. A wondferful fishing platform, a safe, sure ride under 4 foot waves. Trailer is definitely TRASH. Engine: why would anyone put a 225 Mercury on a craft this large is beyond me! Without a doubt, the one thing that would lift this vessel and send it downstream would be a 250 "anything" (except Mercury). The Mercury thing is a personal thing. Any information about #1 or #2 would be greatly appreciated!

Back