Tachometer Help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno G.

Reaction score
I have a 2000 TV-18 w/90hp Merc and the other day the tachometer started to swing back and forth a 1000 or so rpm's then finally stopped at the correct rpms. I didn't think much of it until I took the boat out again yesterday and noticed that the tach read 6000 rpms WOT. Normally with my setup I can't get more than 5200 rpms WOT. I believe the tach may be bad, but I'm not sure. Anyone ever experience this? Could it be the signal coming from the motor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reno

I know this sounds dumb, but if you haven't allready just give the tachometer a little tap next time you're out. Mine usually turns about 5900-6000 rpm's wot and one day it was reading in the mid 6000's, I kocked on it a little and it jumped back into place and hasn't been off since.

Josh

There are several long strings on this subject, so try a search. You should first check the contacts to the tach in the console. Many have solved the erratic tach problem just by cleaning contacts. The big worry is that it can be a serious problem in the engine, but for the life of me, I have forgotten exactly what. I was lucky and the contacts were the problem when mine did the same thing.

jag

Back