tach

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Harrison

Reaction score
I was curious if I would be able to hook up a tach to my OLD 1969 55hp Johnson. Since having this motor I never thought it was running as fast as possible. Don't get me wrong, it runs great but I feel it's not at capacity. Also, a few years back at the Bass Pro outlet store in Springfield I picked up a 4 blade Comprop for $25 for a spare for my boat. It came with a 3 blade aluminum. Now, it's not a performance rig or anything, but is there a way to know what would be the best prop for this motor?

Mike Harrison aka StanAramus the Great

PS. Yesterday I finally got my lower unit back on after 18 months of sitting and procrastinating. Hooked up a fresh battery, pumped the fuel bulb, held the choke button and turn the key within 5 seconds it sputtered and coughed. Turned the key a second time and she had life. I have had this boat for about 7-8 years now and it has always started right away. This is the second time it has sat for 18 months and fired up like a champ right away. Who needs a brand spankin' new EFI when you have a quality built 3 cylinder carbed Johnson...HAHA!!

Should be possible. Always ask a qualified Johnson mechanic for these types of questions or maybe one of our resident experts can direct you but here is a little info. I don't know if this is exactly correct for your engine.

1) the tach wire is normally the grey wire in the harness. This wire comes from the rectifier which converts the Alternating Current from the stator to Direct Current.

2) The tach should have at least 3 terminals. one for + the other for - (12V) and the third for the "grey" wire ac (~).

3) Calibrate according to the number of cylinders.

A good Johnson mechanic can help you out.

Sounds like you good a good engine there. Of course I say that because Johnsons are my favorite engines.

Da Bear

Back